ringing noise probably coming from rear

maxima

Oct 5, 2004
the ringing noise is when im cruising not at a dead stop.. i had the fluids changed in the stang. gear fluid and tranny fluid. when the cover was off for the gears at my mech. his tranny guy was there and had a look at it. he said one of the gear rings are slightly worn. he said thats probably the cause of the ringing noise im getting. nothing wrong with it though. does that sound right to any of u? if it does if i get new gears not saying i would but would it go away? its an 04 gt 5spd with frpp 410s.

• Sponsors (?)

its annoying. it happens every single time i drive the car but its not constant. sometimes itll be happening and sometimes not. but everytime i drive the car it will happen... when its happening its loud to me but to someone else it might not be that loud. idkwhat to do. i wish someone knew exactley what it was and id fix it. im chanceing changeing the gears and it might not evan be that.. car runs stong no problems except for the noise. annoying especaily with only 28k on it and its an 04..

I feel such relief reading this, sorry it's at your expense. I think I'm experience the same problem. Won't do it at an idle or at a stop, but accelerating (usually right after going into 2nd and especially going slow in 5th) and decelerating as well. At first I thought it was a baffle that broke weld in the muffler or an exhaust hanger, but that's all been inspected and discounted. It must be in the rear end. No problems changing gears, but I'm just annoyed with the sound. It sounds sometimes like a chain rattling in an aluminum garbage can. Drives me nuts.

I feel such relief reading this, sorry it's at your expense. I think I'm experience the same problem. Won't do it at an idle or at a stop, but accelerating (usually right after going into 2nd and especially going slow in 5th) and decelerating as well. At first I thought it was a baffle that broke weld in the muffler or an exhaust hanger, but that's all been inspected and discounted. It must be in the rear end. No problems changing gears, but I'm just annoyed with the sound. It sounds sometimes like a chain rattling in an aluminum garbage can. Drives me nuts.

chain rattling u got it!!! i thaught it was the exhaust to its not. had everything tightened. mines in every gear happens always at about 2500 to 3000 rpms. only gear it doesnt happen in is 5th. never heard the noise in 5th. i love my car but noone can figure out what it is. makes me want to sell the car!! its that ANNOYING!!!! i have no clue what it is...

Are you sure its a ringing noise ? Usually when people complain about noise from a rear end its a whining sounds. A ringing sounds would be like if you had a hollow metal object being struck and it made noise that sustained for a period of time.

You might want to take your car to a place that specializes in rear end and have the check the wear patern on the rings with some grease. They will smear this special grease on the ring gear and run the pinion gear over it and depending on how the wear marks in the grease come out they can tell if the rear end was setup properly.

Can you post a sound clip ? Maybe have someone else drive while you record ? It would really help if we could hear the sound.

Are you sure its a ringing noise ? Usually when people complain about noise from a rear end its a whining sounds. A ringing sounds would be like if you had a hollow metal object being struck and it made noise that sustained for a period of time.

You might want to take your car to a place that specializes in rear end and have the check the wear patern on the rings with some grease. They will smear this special grease on the ring gear and run the pinion gear over it and depending on how the wear marks in the grease come out they can tell if the rear end was setup properly.

Can you post a sound clip ? Maybe have someone else drive while you record ? It would really help if we could hear the sound.
idk how to post it on here evan if i recored it.. its a ringing. not a whining. i really dont know if its evan coming from the rear.. noises under the car echo thats the bad part. cant evan pin point it.. idk i dont wanna get rid of it its only got 29k on it and runs great. but the noise drives me nuts!!!

ring

I had a similiar thing going on but mine was more of a whine noise. Had a shop take apart the rear end, had a bad limited slip (but did not fix the problem). So I replaced the gears with some FRPP 3.73's and basically have the same noise (a little better). Every shop I call, they say it is bad install on the gears, but I don't think it's that. Now I have a little whine when decelerating. Slightly annoying, but I am thinking the noise a just the gear....?

I just thought of something. It might be a vibration in the drive shaft. Do you have a stock drive shaft or an aftermarket/aluminum one ?

Check your trans mount (and replace it anyways, the stock rubber one SUX, get a poly one) and have the u-joints on your drive shaft checked as well. Also inspect under the chassis to see if anything could be contacting the drive shaft. That is the only thing I can think of at the moment that might cause a sustained ringing sound.

You are sure its a ringing sound like a tuning fork or a bell ? Can you compair the sound to anything else ?

I just thought of something. It might be a vibration in the drive shaft. Do you have a stock drive shaft or an aftermarket/aluminum one ?

Check your trans mount (and replace it anyways, the stock rubber one SUX, get a poly one) and have the u-joints on your drive shaft checked as well. Also inspect under the chassis to see if anything could be contacting the drive shaft. That is the only thing I can think of at the moment that might cause a sustained ringing sound.

You are sure its a ringing sound like a tuning fork or a bell ? Can you compair the sound to anything else ?
i have the stock drive shaft.. i cant compare the noise to anything else. its not a whine or a whistle. best way to descrive it is a ringing noise. i also thaught it might be the drive shaft but not sure about that either.. itll happen every time i drive but not all the time.. thats the thing "not constant" but every time im in the car it will eventualy always happen.. i thaught it wold be the drive shaft because the car has to be moveing.. idk.. all i know is its not just gonna go away like it started. it hasnt gotten worse or better...

A failing u-joint can cause the the driveshaft to make a ringing noise. If you tap the centre of the driveshaft with a wrench or other metal object it'll go ting. If That's what you're hearing then you probably need u-joints.
how would i know if its the u joints going bad?? if the car only has 29k on it they can can go bad??? what about if i get an after market drive shaft would that work

If you get a bad part then you get a bad part. How many miles it has on it is irrelivant at that point. If you want to try and throw money at the problem, you could buy a new drive shaft. I would take it to a good mechanic and have the drive shaft/yolk/u-joints inspected.