Build Thread "Rising from Ashes" 94 Cobra build thread

• Sponsors (?)

Onto the next piece. Im going with a different interior lighting setup and a roll bar flip visor. So reworking the headliner. Im actually using the headliner board out of my 98 Saleen. It already had a tear so replaced it with a mint one.
081EAAFE-C613-4F06-B545-022FDC1923E7.jpeg
DD9EE7F4-4E81-4363-9EFD-1E211CE1F5CE.jpeg
DDA4AEC1-6C18-45BF-B832-8C0C18875666.jpeg
D308A9B1-B5B6-4ACD-91A3-E37AC209CC18.jpeg
228764F6-7B3B-4509-B035-E91B285DD19D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
What type of glue did you use to fill in the hole on the headliner? I was thinking of doing something similar on my 89. It is a factory sunroof car and the original headliner was damaged when the sunroof was leaking. I have an OEM cardboard piece from a non-sunroof car and was going to take my damaged one and use it as a template on the non-sunroof but the map light pocket needs filled.

Another question for you. Do you know how thick the foam backing should be on the headliner vinyl material for a factory sunroof car? I have the original vinyl for my car but the foam has totally disintegrated. I know they come in different thicknesses and I want to be sure I get the correct thickness the first time. I want to say the vinyl is going to be thinner than on the cloth material are but I am not sure? When I replaced the headliner on my Saleen I got the wrong thickness the first time. Lucky I was able to swap material with someone.

Thanks

What type of glue did you use to fill in the hole on the headliner? I was thinking of doing something similar on my 89. It is a factory sunroof car and the original headliner was damaged when the sunroof was leaking. I have an OEM cardboard piece from a non-sunroof car and was going to take my damaged one and use it as a template on the non-sunroof but the map light pocket needs filled.

Another question for you. Do you know how thick the foam backing should be on the headliner vinyl material for a factory sunroof car? I have the original vinyl for my car but the foam has totally disintegrated. I know they come in different thicknesses and I want to be sure I get the correct thickness the first time. I want to say the vinyl is going to be thinner than on the cloth material are but I am not sure? When I replaced the headliner on my Saleen I got the wrong thickness the first time. Lucky I was able to swap material with someone.

Thanks
3 M panel bond is what I used and I cut the sizes out of a old headliner. The thickness on a sunroof car should be 1/16 of an inch on the backing. Think its an 8th on non sunroof cars.

Thanks for the info, I do have a couple more questions... Do you have a number of the panel bond that you use? How would you do the hardtop to sunroof conversion? It has been a couple months since I overlayed them but if I remember correctly, the dome light hole on the hardtop gets cutout when the sunroof opening is made. That just leaves the sunroof dome light opening for the sunroof car that interferes with the map light of the hardtop. Would you make the sunroof dome light opening on the hardtop board and fill in what is not needed or would you cut that section out from the sunroof board and just graft in a section that has the dome light while covering up the map light hole? Hopefully that makes sense. The dome light is going to have to be popped out at times to replace the bulbs ( I know it is not often) and I am worried that if I filled in what was not needed it would eventually come loose when taking it in and out? IDK, I have not done this before so I am not sure which way is better.

Got the center bezel molded and went ahead and refinished my orginial to match the shifter bezel in case I dont get to the carbon fiber one until after the PITS show.
ACC549F1-9C54-405C-9F63-74BDEDBC91F1.jpeg
F06758FD-1D3D-4AE5-87BD-AA8B37867E3E.jpeg
A4846D69-7877-416B-AE50-0BFDAEE07C01.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
As if you don't have a large enough number of proficiencies already, I could see you having a ball in the 3D Modelling and Printing World.

Hell, now you can scan a thing with any half-decent camera phone.

I'll stop there before derailing happens :D

I've repaired tons of old interiors but never remade pieces. All you dudes that just crank it out like it's matter-a-fact... :p I made a volcano once for science class :)

• Haha
As if you don't have a large enough number of proficiencies already, I could see you having a ball in the 3D Modelling and Printing World.

Hell, now you can scan a thing with any half-decent camera phone.

I'll stop there before derailing happens :D

I've repaired tons of old interiors but never remade pieces. All you dudes that just crank it out like it's matter-a-fact... :p I made a volcano once for science class :)
Lol! All I can say is If I need to make it, I will. Welding, fiberglass, carbon fiber, clay, 3d printing. I’ll figure it out and get it done.