rolling forward in staging lanes, why?

slo65

May 26, 2003
Southern California
well guys the first couple times i went to the track i would roll through the water box, and just spin em to get the water off (street tires), i would pre stage, put the clutch to the floor, in 1st gear, let off the brake.... and i'd roll forward :nonono: so i would have to pull the e brake, then let it down and launch :notnice: , i thought it was my old clutch cable so i replaced it a long with a king cobra clutch, went back to the track again last night, and same thing :bang: , any clue on what this would be? it's quite annoying, i'm trying to get the whole 60' thing down but its hard to while i'm concentrating on the e brake, anywho sorry for the little rant, but any suggestions? thanks in advance :banana:

btw got a new best in the 1/8th, 9.2, pretty much stock so i'm happy :spot:

• Sponsors (?)

Stang8URMPRT said:
Hum... Time for roll control (line lock). I've never had a problem with rolling forward, although I know it can happen. How fast do you roll forward?

not very fast, it almost seems like the track is tilted slightly, but i talked to other people and nobody else seems to have this problem, i notice it doesnt happen in the waterbox :shrug:, basicaly if i staged, and didnt hold up the e brake i'd roll out of the beams :nonono: the odd thing is, one of the runs i actually stayed put in the prestage beams, i rolled forward to stage then stopped, took the foot off the brake and i rolled again :fuss:

also i havent really noticed the problem on the street

if it makes a difference i have the ford racing adjustable clutch cable, maybe its out of adjustment? i notice if it's really tight on the fork the clutch catches really really high, so i loosened it a bit, now it catches about mid where i like it, but i also roll forward... maybe its not disengaging all the way?

First time i ever went to the track, i had the same problem every time.
I think it doesn't happen to most people because they use drag radials or slicks and let alot of air out of them, hence the car doesn't roll as easy.

It all comes down to un level ground, and it happens to people at tracks all the time.
What i'm saying is that a drag radial with 20psi in it, is much less like to roll than a 40psi street tire.

2000xp8 said:
It all comes down to un level ground, and it happens to people at tracks all the time.
What i'm saying is that a drag radial with 20psi in it, is much less like to roll than a 40psi street tire.
Basically, you're just telling him to compensate for the tracks unlevel surface.

If you are wondering if the clutch is engaging, jack up the the rear of the car and put the car into first gear, and with the clutch in, the rear wheels should not turn. Let the clutch out and see where the wheels start to spin. I really doubt its the track - it would have to be a real POS track to be so off level that you car rolls forward. You might also consider tossing the adjustable cable, get a Ford OEM one, and a new quadrant/firewall adjuster. There was another thread somewhere where the guy had an adjustable cable, and it kept on stretching - he would adjust it, and it kept stretching. General consensus is adjustable = POS.

dude its ur car not the track it has to be i was right behind u and i ran more then u and i wont roll but it has happend to me with street tires so i dunno but with the radials it dosent i mean u watched me leave and i dont roll

cobradvm said:
If you are wondering if the clutch is engaging, jack up the the rear of the car and put the car into first gear, and with the clutch in, the rear wheels should not turn. Let the clutch out and see where the wheels start to spin. I really doubt its the track - it would have to be a real POS track to be so off level that you car rolls forward. You might also consider tossing the adjustable cable, get a Ford OEM one, and a new quadrant/firewall adjuster. There was another thread somewhere where the guy had an adjustable cable, and it kept on stretching - he would adjust it, and it kept stretching. General consensus is adjustable = POS.

:( it's not a pos track, actually pretty decent upkeep and people say its the best hooking track around :shrug: , i'd really hate to toss the cable if i can just adjust it i'll play with the adjustment some, i used to have a problem with it not disengaging all the way, cost me a clutch :nonono:

If the clutch is not disengaging all the way it will want to grind when shifting. Also it will do it on the street as well. If you have tension on the clutch pedal and it doesn't release until your pedal is half way off the floor then I would look elsewhere.

Also using the water box with plain old street tires is a :nono: .

The water fills the grooves of the tires and comes off onto the track for the next car to run across.

89sleeper said:
If the clutch is not disengaging all the way it will want to grind when shifting. Also it will do it on the street as well. If you have tension on the clutch pedal and it doesn't release until your pedal is half way off the floor then I would look elsewhere.

Also using the water box with plain old street tires is a :nono: .

The water fills the grooves of the tires and comes off onto the track for the next car to run across.

there's nothing i can do about that :shrug: i ask for no water but they spray anyway, i try to just roll through and spin all the water off that i can :(