Rotors keep warping....

velocity

Nov 12, 2003
Colorado
I bought my 94 Gt vert about 5 years ago and every since have had problems with the rotors warping. I bought slotted and drilled rotors off of ebay and installed EBC Green stuff pads. That did not help, they warped after a few months. I replaced the rotors with some I bought from Checker, this way I can true them. Now, a couple months later they are starting to warp again. What is causing this? I don't ride the brakes, and I down shift at every stop, so I don't think it is anything I am doing. Any suggestions for a fix or cause of this issue?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I would really like to see what people suggest. I used to have this problem too and I also have it on my Bronco. It's SO annoying. The only thing I could think of is the tires may not be completely true.

Be careful about not torquing lugs to their full spec. :eek:

The even torquing of lugs is very important. Did you have anyone torque your lugs since you got the new rotors? Someone blapping away carelessly can take care of your rotors.

Otherwise, the metallurgy isnt that great in rotors these days. If you have a warranty on your new rotors, just swap them in.

Are they legitimately warped or do they just have a high or low spot felt as a pulsation in the pedal or wheel? Rotors are designed to be machined down, a few thousandths at a time to eliminate high and low spots that occur under various braking conditions and heat cycles.

Had the problem with the GTP on the fronts.....went through a couple pair of pads in 1/2 year.....one side was worse than the other......check your calipers, grease up the pins.......it was my problem , maybe it's yours ....good luck

Had the problem with the GTP on the fronts.....went through a couple pair of pads in 1/2 year.....one side was worse than the other......check your calipers, grease up the pins.......it was my problem , maybe it's yours ....good luck

This is what I was thinking... grease the pins and also make sure that the lug nut, clean up the surfaces both under and on the rotor to get even torque, then torque the lugs down in 3,4, or 5 steps to ensure that they are the evenly distributing the load...

This is what I was thinking... grease the pins and also make sure that the lug nut, clean up the surfaces both under and on the rotor to get even torque, then torque the lugs down in 3,4, or 5 steps to ensure that they are the evenly distributing the load...

While I haven't had this problem since I started maintaining my brakes myself (knock on wood), this is what I follow. Every time I take off a caliper I check to see that they're greased up well enough. I always torque up the lugs by hand, and in a "star" pattern; first step to snug them up, second snugged up tight, and a third to make sure they're all tightened up well & good.

Had some lug nuts come loose on a front wheel once. I must've been too tired to snug up the lugs properly. so the next day I was running errands and suddenly got a wobble in the steering. Pulled over and ALL the lugs were hand-loose. Fortunately, I caught it before I damaged anything.

Now, lugs are supposed to be torqued down to 85-105 ft-lbs (had to look that up). I've only used my own strength to tighten 'em down as much as I can, and only had that one problem. I did verify with a torque wrench once, and was within specs.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean.....

What do you mean by grease up well enough? I have tried adding grease to the calipers but it just comes out the side of the "nipple." Between the nipple and the grease gun. Does that just mean that it is full, or plugged, or what?

I torqued down the lugs to 100ft-lbs each and still seem to have a problem. They do not shutter all the time, just after they are warmed up from driving for a while or a quick stop. Should I just have them turned and then reinstall them to see if the lugs being torqued was the problem?

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!

[
QUOTE=velocity;7812860]What do you mean by grease up well enough? I have tried adding grease to the calipers but it just comes out the side of the "nipple." Between the nipple and the grease gun. Does that just mean that it is full, or plugged, or what?

Nipple?? Are you trying to force grease into the caliper brake fluid bleed fitting??

I torqued down the lugs to 100ft-lbs each and still seem to have a problem. They do not shutter all the time, just after they are warmed up from driving for a while or a quick stop. Should I just have them turned and then reinstall them to see if the lugs being torqued was the problem?

That's what I would do first before replacing again.

What do you mean by grease up well enough? I have tried adding grease to the calipers but it just comes out the side of the "nipple." Between the nipple and the grease gun. Does that just mean that it is full, or plugged, or what?

There are no grease fittings on the Mustang brakes. The only thing that looks close is the brake bleeder screw, and you don't want grease in the brake lines. On the front brakes, you grease up the pin that the caliper rotates up on. The part that you screw the bolt into should slide back and forth a bit on its own. If it doesn't, you can pop the rubber caps off and put some grease in there. Most auto part stores sell caliper rebuild kits which have new rubber caps.

Oh, I would recommend getting some high-temperature grease, these calipers get freaking hot and will kill normal grease in no time flat.

The rear calipers have these rubber sleeves that hold the caliper pins in - the pins are what you screw the two caliper bolts into. The rubber sleeves just pop off, and you can put some high-temp grease on the pins. The pins should slide fairly easily with the rubber sleeves on. There's a rebuild kit for the rear calipers as well, I recommend them.

And new slide pins are under 10 bucks per side at the parts stores...........
They do wear out (the better ones use a sacrificial coating).

I am stupid....

I should have known about the grease "fitting" not really being for grease, I was just not thinking.

Thank you for all of your suggestions, I will try them this weekend hopefully and post back on the progress.

To build upon others.....Make sure your back brakes are working. If they are not working it could be causing the front to do all of the work. Had this problem with a brand new Contour. The dealer found the problem.

Did a lot of research on this subject for my Excursion. Went through 3 sets of rotors in 70k miles, all of them "warped" so bad the steering wheel would almost snap your wrists under hard braking.

Here's what I learned:

1) Very seldom do rotors actually warp. What most call warp is actually an uneven surface caused by "pad transfer" whereby the material from your pads bond to locations on your rotors, creating a high spot in relation to the rotor surface. The rotor itself almost never warps. There might be some truth to the rotor getting distorted by uneven torquing of lug nuts. Most OEMs recommend a 2 stage torquing; I do my first torque (using a star pattern) to 75 ft/lbs, then go around again to the recommended rate. Use a torque wrench, and don't let shops do anything other than HAND TORQUE your lugs. Torque sticks are notoriously inaccurate!!!

2) Ok, now that we're all technically correct, that doesn't make the pad transfer problem go away, does it? What do you do?

First, get your rotors turned, and new pads, if you've got a problem. If your rotors are past tolerance for turning, then replace. If the problem's not too bad yet, you might try scuffing your rotors with a scotchbrite pad on a die grinder--go easy though!

Second, ensure while you're doing the pad replacement, that your pins are in good shape and properly greased. (To the OP, don't worry about greasing your bleed valves--they were closed, so all you did was plug up the last bit with grease. Q tip should clean that right up).

Third, once you've completed your install, season your pads and rotors properly. High end brake parts will have directions for doing this, but it basically involves a series of medium braking events (5-10 times), with enough space inbetween them to allow the brakes to cool completely. Follow this up with another series of hard braking events, with adequate cooldown between times. Don't come to a complete stop during these events! (Obviously, a deserted country road at night is the best place to do this).

Finally, use your head when using your brakes! If you do a hard stop, don't hold the brakes in that position at a complete stop. You just super-heated the rotors and pads. Let your vehicle creep forward a couple of inches to put the pad in a new position. Better yet, slowly edge forward until the light turns green (without hitting the car in front of you), without completely stopping in any one position.

I've been doing this for quite a while now, on both my daily drivers and my mustang, and on SWMBO's Subaru, and it seems to make problems go away, and makes the brakes last a lot longer (particularly on the Excursion, which does a lot of towing, and is a big beast to stop anyway!).

Reactions: 1 user