rough idle when cold

noslow86

Dec 30, 2003
sandwich il
ok i got a rough idle when cold runs 1000 rpms to 500 rpms when cold i aready change iac and running a 180 stat. could oxygen sensor be the cause i dont think its a vacuum leak because it only does it when its cold my tps is at 1.23 volts. i change intakes to a trick flow street and a 70mm thottle body with an egr spacer there is no leak at the intake or throttle body. it smells like raw fuel. i got the timing at 14 degress i need help

• Sponsors (?)

Jeff7477 said:
The computer doesn't even use data from the 02's until its warmed up though right?
absolutely correct. But the O2's can only take 30-120 seconds to light off.
Any codes?
Good luck.

if it was o2 sensors wouldnt it idle like that all the time it only does this when its cold. could i need a msd box. im running trick flow intake cold air induction full exhaust timing at 14 degrees blaster coil 9mm plugs msd cap 3.73 gear. my check engine light never comes on dont even knows if it works.

If you dont know if the CEL works, that is all the more reason to pull codes. It should come on when the key is on for a few seconds, before you start the car.

Codes can be stored w/o ever illuminating the light. It takes 5 mins to pull codes and might point you in the right direction.

Have you played with the idle setting at all lately?
Good luck.

I would take a run through this article and use what applies to you and skip others. But going through each step helps to get idles reset, since adjusting one thing can affect other components.
BTW, that TPS reading is borderline. Try and take it back down around 1.0 volt if you easily can.
Good luck.