Roush Axle-back Mufflers??

CoosawJack

Feb 11, 2016
Everyone seems to like these a LOT so I bought a set and installed them last Thursday about 1:00 PM.......they were removed at 8:00 AM Friday and SOLD pretty quick!!:eek:
I thought they were terribly loud and tinny sounding at all but WOT...they sounded OK then but the RIDICULOUS popping between shifts was the deal breaker for me!!:notnice:
Did I just get a BAD set or are they all loud and ragged sounding??:(
Re-installed my MagnaFlows.....much quieter but authoritative sounding....OK by me!!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Funny how the audio on AmericanMuscle is so deceiving.......they ALL sounded kinda good in the videos but those Roush ones were HORRIBLE in real life!!:notnice:
I've learned that I should find someone with mufflers around here to listen to first.......but for now my MagnaFlows are tame enough and just FINE FOR ME!!:hail:

Last edited:
Yer right. I know I'll go FI at some point here and it's easy to make a relatively quiet muffler noisier when you do that but, you can't go back the other way. The GT500s tend to get a little louder as they age but the quality of the sound is magical.

I just listened to some YouTube sound clips and they sound more "hollow" than Magnaflows.......at least that's what I heard!!:shrug:

Do they pop and boom a lot between shifts??:confused:

I've always used Flowmaster 40s and have been happy with every application. They drone a little, but not terrible and I've noticed bad popping only when the motor is still cold, but once you get warmed up and moving they're great... they sound great on everything, and what I like is that they're also about $150 for a set vs. $350+ for Roush or Borla.

Hate the roush mufflers, installed GT500s and am very happy with the look and sound. Sounds European like Aston Martin or Jaguar

356e8026c6b45282ca920020c8ad6528.jpg

I had Borla Ataks and they were obnoxious and popped a lot too plus they were super loud. Got a set of RTRs (by Magnaflow) and love them.
I've had 40 series flowmaster on everything from a '55 f100 with a '68 302, '68 mustang with a 289, '97 Dodge Ram and now with my '14 coyote and they sound great. Like I said: a little popping when cold and some drone, but I've gotten compliments, and I think they sound great. The only draw back was that I had to have a muffler shop install them because they had to weld the clamp-able pipes from the stock mufflers on and the hangers. It only cost about 50 bucks, but well worth it in my opinion. Considering the mufflers are 150 bucks for a set of two and an extra 50 to install them, 200 bucks is still less than what you would spend on Borla or Roush.

I'm about to change the mufflers to the GT500. Should I go all the way and change everything for that sound or are the mufflers good enough?
The GT500 mufflers will definitely give you a more aggressive sound. If you change anything else catback it will for the most part only change the tone of your aggressive sound. If it's power you're concerned with you can always install mid length or long tube headers.

Reactions: 1 user
The GT500 mufflers will definitely give you a more aggressive sound. If you change anything else catback it will for the most part only change the tone of your aggressive sound. If it's power you're concerned with you can always install mid length or long tube headers.

If I change it all then it would make sense to go for the extra power. What do you recommend?

Won't get any power changing the after cat pipe. Lt headers and catless midpipe would add power but then you'd have a smelly exhaust... I had a catless midpipe on my '98 and never again would I do that. If youre looking for sound gt500 mufflers are great, if they aren't loud enough you can always have the resonators deleted. Most reputable exhaust shops can cut them out and welt str8 pipes in their place

Reactions: 1 user
If I change it all then it would make sense to go for the extra power. What do you recommend?
Won't get any power changing the after cat pipe. Lt headers and catless midpipe would add power but then you'd have a smelly exhaust... I had a catless midpipe on my '98 and never again would I do that. If youre looking for sound gt500 mufflers are great, if they aren't loud enough you can always have the resonators deleted. Most reputable exhaust shops can cut them out and welt str8 pipes in their place
obviously you're not in California.

I have the Roush mufflers. Love them. I love the crackly sound when shifting. Sounds more like a race car and less like a truck. In fact, thinking about an off road x pipe to make it louder.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

A budy of mine has a set on his '14. Very....angry sounding. Makes the car sound mean, but I'm sure I'd get tired of that noise in a hurry.

I've never seen someone running a Corsa exhaust that did t absolutely love it.....but $1,000 is pretty tough to swallow for what is essentially a pair of mufflers, a 45-deg elbow and a couple of short weld on tips.

I'll buy just the mufflers and make my own exhaust 3X over before I pony up the over inflated price that manufactures want for an S197 exhaust.