Roush blower price reduced

mustangdave

My rearend needs a stud and two nuts.
Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
North Carolina
Roush just knocked off over $900 off their standard M90 blower; now only 4999! Anyone have this blower and opinions? I know there are more powerful units but it seems like a good deal to get to 435 h.p. safely with warranty intact. Any dyno graphs from those that have used them? Thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Dyno graphs don't tell the whole story. Take a look at some timeslips, too.

I've seen a few S197 Mustang GT's with these blowers at our local dragstrips. They tend to run high 12.7's to 12.8's @ about 108-109 mph in the 1/4 mile with no other mods. The ones I've seen were with manual transmissions and had drag radials.

$4999 is not bad, but I only paid $3700 for my Vortech V2 (non-intercooled) last year and my heavy, automatic GT runs 12.30's @ 111+ mph in the 1/4 mile. My motor is 100% factory stock, as are the entire exhaust & suspension, but I do run drag radials. So, for $1300 less, I'm going nearly 1/2 second quicker than the Roushcharged cars at our local strip.

The Vortech V2 & V3 models are 50-state smog legal, 3/36 warranty compliant, and can be cranked up to much bigger power numbers if you dare. With the standard pulley, my GT is making about 450hp at the flywheel with a very safe, conservative, daily driver tune.

You can't compare cost between a Positive Displacement blower and a Centrifugal. The Positive Displacement kit is always going to be more expensive than the Centrifugal (especially non-intercooled) based simply on the manufacturing cost of the blower and the complexity of the system.

When you buy a positive displacement blower, you're paying for the advantage of off idle torque, superior drivability and throttle response…not to mention immense under hood space savings. Things that are unmatched when compared to a centrifugal or turbo. The trade off in this case, is horsepower capability because of the MP90's limited displacement. Some guys are alright with giving up (or not making) that extra amount of torque down low. I however, am not one of them.

...horsepower aside, I'll always choose a positive displacement blower over any other form of power adder for a daily driver that's going to see mainly street duty. What the MP90 lacks in top end potential, it makes up for in boost response and quick intake pressurization. Compare the dyno sheets and even the seat of the pants feel with that little MP90 to some of the other large displacement Twin Screw blowers on the market and you'll see the MP90 has a measurable advantage way down low in the power curve. :nice:

In short…yes, for $4,999, the MP90 based Roush kit is a great buy for the money. :)

Yes, nothing wrong with the centrifugals especially cost-wise, but I'm looking for low end grunt and street fun. Racing will be few and far between. I can't tell from their site but it appears to be non-intercooled and these engines already create alot of heat so that is a concern.