Royal Purple Drain Interval?

I am on my second 7qt RP oil change with a Motorcraft FL820s filter. I ran it for 5k miles the first time and I am thinking about changing it again 5k miles from now. It is my daily driver and my driving style is what I call Spirited. I lay a little rubber here and there, get sideways, wind it up to 6k when needed, I see No track time.

My question is am I changing the oil to soon? I do not care about the high cost of good engine oil but I cannot afford to be wasting money draining oil sooner than need be. I asked RP the same thing and they replied with a 12k interval. Seems kinds long for a mod motor. The search function gets all kinds of different confusing opinions.

About the filter, maybe I should run the 20-820 RP extended life oil filter and change it every other change? I know I need to do a UOA with my next change now that the conventional is all flushed out.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

IMO the oil will tell you when you need a change. When you last drained your oil was it dirty, burnt, or black? If it looked clean and smelled like normal lightly used oil then you're changing too soon. If anything the FL820S filter will need to be changed before your oil does. As long as your oil filter is located above your oil pan you can just remove it and install a new one. Add a little oil back in for the capacity of the oil filter that you lost and keep going. Quality full synthetic oil can last a long time under normal driving conditions you just need to keep checking your oil and reading the dipstick correctly.

I'm a Mobil 1 full syn user in most of my vehicles fwiw.

Reactions: 1 user
The interval is more dependent on the type of oil and the usage of the vehicle, not so much on the brand (at least in my opinion). What FoxMustangLvr said is spot on. If you check the condition of your oil when it's changed you can tell if you can wait longer or not. You can wait longer with full synthetic vs conventional. You can usually push the intervals to 7.5k and even beyond 10k miles on a newer car. I personally wouldn't push it that far but the best way to tell is to check your oil. OEM oil filters are usually superior to aftermarket ones. I would stick with Motorcraft filters and then use whatever oil you are comfortable with.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk