RPMS drop to 0 while driving sometimes??? Help before hurrican Wilma strikes

• Sponsors (?)

Danny, do you know what you are missing when it wont start? If spark only, that suggests the TFI, coil, etc. But if you lose spark AND injector pulsing, that suggests the PIP. That is a quick way to differentiate the two.

Good luck man!

The TFI ignition module checked out fine the coil is fairly new (msd coil), unfortuanatly I have yet to chave a chance to dignoise it cause it has only happend while driving. It left me at a light for a few minutes today before it started up again. I don't want to drive it around until it dies because it only does it while I'm surrounded by traffic (darn thing). I still have the factory coil I way just swap it out. How do you test the coil???

Danny, it might be hard to isolate the coil as being bad. You can do the primary and secondary resistance testing outlined in the manual (I dont know the specs you need off the top of my head).

But unless the car is acting up, it can be a bear to isolate that. If the car is not acting up during the testing, it probably tests fine (this is one of the FEW times I am willing to toss a part at it). Besides a nice aftermarket coil looks cool. And though I have not priced SN coils, a fox coil at AZ is 15 bucks (if needing to do this on the cheap).

One question: when the TFI was tested, did they test it repeatedly to heat it up real nice (to simulate the warm motor conditions you seem to experience the failure in)?

Sorry to not have more definative advice. Good luck.

Oh yeah. I would use heat sink grease on the TFI if you remove it again, not dielectrical grease. It really does not matter but heat sink grease is more correct for the application.

HISSIN50 said:
One question: when the TFI was tested, did they test it repeatedly to heat it up real nice (to simulate the warm motor conditions you seem to experience the failure in)?
It was tested a few minutes after I arrived at the parts store. I've changed/replaced what the puter has given me which was only the ACT sensor which is responside for calculating fuel ratios and timing curves. I was hoping that would have cured my problem seeig as how that was the only code it puked out. KOER & KOEO all hae revieled nothing everything passes, most pip stators that fail spit up a code having to do with the pip. The only two ignition items left to be checked is the coil and pip stator, and my $$ is on the pip stator as of now.