RPMs go up but car does not accelerate

22catch22

Aug 26, 2008
When I pushed on the accelerator while attempting to pass another vehicle the rpms increased to about 4000 but the car stayed at 45mph and didn't go any faster. I let off the gas, waited a about 10 seconds and attempted to pass again. Once again the rpms more than doubled but the car didn't go any faster. Is this transmission related?

• Sponsors (?)

It is hard to say without more info. What year is your car? Is it auto? On the Fox bodies with the auto there is a cable that runs from the throttle body to the transmission. This controls line pressure and downshifts. There was a problem with the grommets going bad and the cable falling out. If you drive the car with the cable out you will kill your tranny. Ford has a replacement part that has a metal bushing and clip to hold the cable in.

If it is a manual, it is probably clutch/ pressure plate related. Double check the clutch quadrant/ cable and make sure it's adjusted correctly (or adjusting itself if it's the factory one.) Just had the same problem on mt GT and my pressure plate was bad.

It is hard to say without more info. What year is your car? Is it auto? On the Fox bodies with the auto there is a cable that runs from the throttle body to the transmission. This controls line pressure and downshifts. There was a problem with the grommets going bad and the cable falling out. If you drive the car with the cable out you will kill your tranny. Ford has a replacement part that has a metal bushing and clip to hold the cable in.

Thanks for the reply. It is a 95 mustang and it is an automatic. This is definitely something I will check into. I plan on changing the transmission filter and fluid tomorrow and putting an additive in the transmission. Before doing this, I will check the cable you talked about to see if it is out.

If it's auto, check your fluid level. You're trans is slipping

Thanks for the reply. It is an automatic. I've checked the fluid and it is at the full mark and it is not overfilled because there are no bubbles on the dipstick when I pull it out. I hate to say it but I think the tranny might be kicking it. It has 185k miles on it but it was rebuilt at 95k. I plan on dropping the pan tomorrow to change the filter. I guess I'll know more if I find any metal in the fluid.