Drivetrain Running 14 Years Later! ...with Transmission Leak (pics)

johnnycash777

Mar 22, 2016
1991 GT Convertible, 128k miles, new rear end / axle in 2000. Sat on blocks in the country for 14 years untouched.

I'm new to car repair/restoration but, after a good bit of work, my son and I got it cranked. (New fuel tank, fuel pump, worked the "crank but no start checklist" and got her going.) Have driven her 2x. Noticed a lot of white smoke coming from fluid on the catalytic converter. (I think. I refer to the "short triangular prism" looking piece just rear of the headers.)

Looked underneath and there is what appears to be old-caked-on-burnt oil everywhere. On the front of what I think is the forward-most part of the transmission (just to the rear of the oil pan), there appear to be 1-3 missing bolts, and the structure sounds very hollow. You can see in the pics where I have cleaned up some of the surfaces, but still get a feel for what a mess it was.

So my questions are:

Is the hole that the red arrow points to normal? Is the amount of fluid leaking from the yellow arrow area normal / acceptable?
upload_2016-3-22_22-12-34.png

Am I missing parts where the blue arrow points? (There appears to be a gasket there, but I can't really tell.) Am I missing a bolt where the green arrow points? (it's threaded but there is not a bolt in it.)
upload_2016-3-22_22-12-44.png

Am I on the right track that this is a transmission leak? Any guidance on next steps to fix this mess would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yellow arrow indicates rear main seal leak.

red arrow is normal

blue arrow. No gasket. That's an inspection cover to get to the torque converter. I believe only two bolts hold this plate on.

Green arrow. Don't think so but not 100% sure. However looks like there hasn't been a bolt there in a while