Running Rich

87stang92sho

Active User
May 7, 2017
my mustang gt 1987 is still running very rich. I have replaced the o2 sensors which were caked in gasoline. I also put the smog pipe on the back of the engine so there will be no air leaks, ive also tightened my collectors from the headers down because they were leaking before. Now with all that fixed its still running bad, the smog system isnt hooked up and there is no cats. Please help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Start with the codes, but yanking the cats off usually gives you that gassy fume smell that a lot of people associate with running rich. It was strong enough on my car that I had to put the cats back on.

Reactions: 1 user
Start with the codes, but yanking the cats off usually gives you that gassy fume smell that a lot of people associate with running rich. It was strong enough on my car that I had to put the cats back on.
The engine codes will tell you what to check. Once you get those then the troubleshooting begins.
If the codes tell me its cats or a emission thing, is there a way i can clear the code or bypass it to make the engine run fine. I honestly don't know what else to do the inside of the exhaust pipes are cakes in black gas and if u put it in reverse the smell will make ur eyes water and its very hard to breathe.

If the codes tell me its cats or a emission thing, is there a way i can clear the code or bypass it to make the engine run fine. I honestly don't know what else to do the inside of the exhaust pipes are cakes in black gas and if u put it in reverse the smell will make ur eyes water and its very hard to breathe.

No- there is no magical way to fix the car running rich and clearing the codes does nothing, as the codes will return if the problem remains.

Run the codes
That will tell you where to start

You also need to tell us more about the engine- stock? any other emissions/EGR removed?

No- there is no magical way to fix the car running rich and clearing the codes does nothing, as the codes will return if the problem remains.

Run the codes
That will tell you where to start

You also need to tell us more about the engine- stock? any other emissions/EGR removed?
Do you want to know modifications or just everything that is removed from emissions?

Everything.
It has a cold air intake, headers, downpipe, h-pipe and mufflers dumped no cats h-pipe and downpipe. Thats all really in modifications besides normal maintenance things. The smog pump wires to the computer im guessing thats where they lead have been cut. I didn't do it my grandmothers mechanic did it years ago. So I basically took everything off with the pump besides the pipe that plugs into the headers. The egr valve is still on.

Still running the speed density computer?

Pull the codes. 1987 doesn't have a function check engine light, so you'd never know if there was a major issue
Yes I really rather not put on the mass air conversation. I thought it didn't have a check engine light ether someone told me it did. I guess thats all i can do it check the codes. Now would having lots of gas caked in black in the exhaust cause me to still smell gas and see it or do you think it would be very minimal if it was running perfectly?

Your car has a check engine light...but it's not wired up properly and functional. It was made functional when mass air came around. No idea why Ford did this.

So you'll need to pull codes

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

This will work with the Innova 3145 and I have used it that way many times. The basic procedure is the same except that the Innova 3145 replaces all the jumpers and wires that you would use if you didn't have one.

Just be sure to carefully read the instructions through a couple of times until they make sense and you will be good to go.

image.jpg
What code reader did you get? Innova 3145?
What are these called and what do they do? They were connected to the smog system and the lines where cut for both of these.