Running sluggish / missfire / blinking check engine light

martylavender

Dec 2, 2008
96 CObra
121k miles

So about 2 weeks ago, the car started running sluggish under load. If I really got on it, it was like it didnt want to go anywhere. Once I got up to over 2500 RPMs it would take off more so like normal.

Thinking it was the air filter possibly, we cleaned it. The next day the check engine light came on.

Went to Autozone and had them read the code.

P0306 and P0308 which are cylinder 6 and 8 missfire. It was suggested to change the plugs and wires, by my father in law and Autozone. So bought new plugs and wires.

Immediatly after changing them and starting the car and driving it around a bit it felt like the car was idling rough. It doesnt do the studder thing but it still feels like there is not enough power to the engine. I figured I needed to drive it around, so I drove to the gym tonight, and the check engine light started blinking when I got up to around 60 mph. I slowed down and it stopped...once I got to the gym it started doing it again for a couple seconds as I sat idling. Then stopped.

Ive read numerous things about it.....people talking about excess gas getting into the CAT, overheating it, and killing it basically.

What do you guys suggest I look at now? Should I just take it into the shop? Someone said possibly coil pack going out?

• Sponsors (?)

Last year when i pulled my 97 cobra out of storage it was running horrible. it felt like a miss so i did a tune up and that didnt help, my uncle said i had a vacuum leak at the intake gasket so i changed that, and that didnt help. so i let the car idle and started unpluging sensor wires and i found it. my mass air flow sensor was covered in crud. i cleaned it with carb cleaner and a knife and the cars ran great ever since. I would take a look at it, maybe you can save yourself from the headache i went through. Good luck