• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Rust on valve

  • Thread starter Thread starter Creomod
  • Start date Start date Dec 13, 2023

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 13, 2023
#1
  • Dec 13, 2023
  • #1
Ok I had a issue driveshaft broke hiway messed up trans so removed engine trans together (long tube headers). I had a exhaust leak at header so I removed header to replace gasket looked in exhaust ports at valves some look white but one had rust. Seems like coolant funny thing is I haven’t noticed it anywhere oil or smoke? What should I do engine only 3 years old or so. Now can this could’ve been caused from running lean? I couldn’t get afr correct and assumed it was cuz header exhaust leak but I think it might be cuz I was running valve covers for carburetor not efi. I thought it looked cool with 2 breathers but I think it sees it as vacuum I also found gas in between upper and lower intake. Any thoughts? Should I remove head ? I can’t do a compression test like I said I pulled engine to remove transmission. Craked intake?Blown head gasket? I don’t recall my engine overheating at all
 

Attachments

  • 6E87287A-B54B-40DF-88F8-A41CBC11B721.webp
    950.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 70EAD76D-2DEB-4935-B014-1DFCB5930A5D.webp
    56.5 KB · Views: 177
  • A2719AB5-D112-415A-A51D-1D125DBD9857.webp
    64.6 KB · Views: 204
  • EBFEDF8F-1012-4DCF-A236-D8C880A40328.webp
    89.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 60FBFC8A-7FD1-4D96-BF43-F4871E80A6FD.webp
    747.5 KB · Views: 181

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,387
21,589
234
Box behind Walmart
Dec 13, 2023
#2
  • Dec 13, 2023
  • #2
You've got it out, you might as well swap the head gaskets. If you were getting water into the induction system then it's just one more thing you don't have to worry about.

Just clean up the heads and bolt them back on with a set of ARP head studs. Then it's just [done].
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,387
21,589
234
Box behind Walmart
Dec 13, 2023
#3
  • Dec 13, 2023
  • #3
Also... Exhaust leak = a way for condensation to enter and assist the exhaust valve getting surface rust between heat cycles.
 
Reactions: Creomod

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 13, 2023
#4
  • Dec 13, 2023
  • #4
Noobz347 said:
Also... Exhaust leak = a way for condensation to enter and assist the exhaust valve getting surface rust between heat cycles.
Click to expand...
I don’t think it’s this one because the rust is in passenger side exhaust leak driver side still debating to pull head not sure if that’s what needs to be done
 

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 14, 2023
#5
  • Dec 14, 2023
  • #5
I opened up Lower intake I see some milky I’ll look extremely close when I get home from work in a bit we are having Christmas party but skipping it to check it out
 

Attachments

  • 4DD608A8-4BDB-4E11-A4A9-846505AD09C2.webp
    588.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 264D39A0-A06E-4C3F-B8E0-2745138749CB.webp
    592.6 KB · Views: 196

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 14, 2023
#6
  • Dec 14, 2023
  • #6
I looked inside the valley where head gasket meets with block I don’t see any break can that running wrong valve covers cause coolant to go into my engine? Should i really remove heads? Don’t want to remove heads if it’s just a vacuum leak. Any input? I need as much opinions as I can get. I’m working over time trying to figure out what route to go? Also the lower intake bolts were brand new when I installed them they came out rusty and looked like muddy milky substance
 

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 14, 2023
#7
  • Dec 14, 2023
  • #7
I also believe this might be part of the problem I was running this bbk throttle spacer and I have the coolant lines plugged. How should I be running it?
 

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
6,946
5,818
213
Dec 14, 2023
#8
  • Dec 14, 2023
  • #8
The intake bolts should not come out rusty and milky. The throttle body os fine with the coolant lines plugged.

Does your car sit for extended periods. Both the valve and the milky sludge could be some weird condensation issue. That pic shows the egr ports. The ports themselves don't show signs of coolant.

Seems like you need to take that cylinder with the rusty valve and put it at bottom dead center. Then shoot some compressed air in the spark plug hole through a compression tester hose. If you hear air escaping past the valves you have an issue. If it pushes coolant out the radiator...or hissing from the oil fill then you have issues that need fixing.

Something else people miss is that a small amount of oil keeps the valves lubricated. If that valve isn't getting oil it can cause the valve to be rusty. Oil goes from the lifter, through the push rod, across the rocker, and to the valve stem seals and springs. If that lifter is bad it can cause the rest of the oil circuit to starve. Still doesn't explain the milky stuf.
 
Reactions: Creomod and General karthief

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 15, 2023
#9
  • Dec 15, 2023
  • #9
90sickfox said:
The intake bolts should not come out rusty and milky. The throttle body os fine with the coolant lines plugged.

Does your car sit for extended periods. Both the valve and the milky sludge could be some weird condensation issue. That pic shows the egr ports. The ports themselves don't show signs of coolant.

Seems like you need to take that cylinder with the rusty valve and put it at bottom dead center. Then shoot some compressed air in the spark plug hole through a compression tester hose. If you hear air escaping past the valves you have an issue. If it pushes coolant out the radiator...or hissing from the oil fill then you have issues that need fixing.

Something else people miss is that a small amount of oil keeps the valves lubricated. If that valve isn't getting oil it can cause the valve to be rusty. Oil goes from the lifter, through the push rod, across the rocker, and to the valve stem seals and springs. If that lifter is bad it can cause the rest of the oil circuit to starve. Still doesn't explain the milky stuf.
Click to expand...
Doesn’t sit too long it’s a daily driver stock 302 get 40 3 bar I opened valve covers and oil looks good but that’s valve is alarming to me. I’ll do that small leak down as soon as I get out from work.
 

Attachments

  • 2065B70F-476C-42D1-84EB-9ED974A7BD15.webp
    395.1 KB · Views: 177
  • D5B62594-B6F9-46FB-AAEB-053CEBAE02D5.webp
    467.3 KB · Views: 176

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 15, 2023
#10
  • Dec 15, 2023
  • #10
ok the heads have 2 big ports where coolant goes 1 of the 4 doesn’t have rust the one on the passenger front side does that mean anything
 

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 17, 2023
#11
  • Dec 17, 2023
  • #11
I see some rust along the side of the edge ports under the lower intake bolt holes how could I get rust on those bolts? Also header gasket very worn white brittle some places was thinly afr could’ve hurt my engine. Also my spark plugs are white mostly especially the long bar part. They look white corroded. So could a vacuum leak cause this? I also have some “sut” around the edge ports on the head to lower intake gaskets. I’ve pulled a couple engines and I haven’t seen that. I used a knife to “peel” it off . Anyone agree? By the way like the comment about bad lifter gonna swap that one out . Any input appreciated. I called engine shop and they were busy trying to sell me a 70s engine flat tapper
 

Attachments

  • 67414F3A-12BC-435F-AE34-49F394C62ED6.webp
    949.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 229E87EA-C9AB-4DE4-8633-989D04D8B605.webp
    747.2 KB · Views: 166
  • D8294898-C54D-486F-AFFE-98F30F372523.webp
    712.3 KB · Views: 164
  • DA947061-F179-469A-A7DF-386E29A3AC43.webp
    504.4 KB · Views: 160

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 17, 2023
#12
  • Dec 17, 2023
  • #12
90sickfox said:
The intake bolts should not come out rusty and milky. The throttle body os fine with the coolant lines plugged.

Does your car sit for extended periods. Both the valve and the milky sludge could be some weird condensation issue. That pic shows the egr ports. The ports themselves don't show signs of coolant.

Seems like you need to take that cylinder with the rusty valve and put it at bottom dead center. Then shoot some compressed air in the spark plug hole through a compression tester hose. If you hear air escaping past the valves you have an issue. If it pushes coolant out the radiator...or hissing from the oil fill then you have issues that need fixing.

Something else people miss is that a small amount of oil keeps the valves lubricated. If that valve isn't getting oil it can cause the valve to be rusty. Oil goes from the lifter, through the push rod, across the rocker, and to the valve stem seals and springs. If that lifter is bad it can cause the rest of the oil circuit to starve. Still doesn't explain the milky stuf.
Click to expand...
And yes on second thought yes my car has sit for extended periods of time it sat for a few months but recently I started to drive it as a daily . I have no idea what to do
 

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 17, 2023
#13
  • Dec 17, 2023
  • #13
Can a vacuum leak using wrong valve covers maybe not cause coolant to leak but if the lower intake gasket problem there could a vacuum leak pull a small coolant leak to where I get that little milky and rust on intake bolts?
 

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
554
47
48
San Antonio,Texas
Dec 17, 2023
#14
  • Dec 17, 2023
  • #14
I I also hooked up cylinder to compressed air and listing to valve cover hole nothing as for the rad I had it already off. So just added water to thermostat housing and hooked up air no water trickeled out. I put my ear to the hose and I could hear air but I don’t think it was like air leaking sound it was the air from compressor but to me I couldn’t hear it hissing like a leak but then again I’m no expert
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

N
Looking for ECU/CHIP for 1992 5.0
  • Nathan26
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
198
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sunday at 10:32 AM
khanpa
K
D
Exhaust Difficulty of fixing exhaust leak at manifold
  • dqureshi06
  • Aug 27, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
252
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 28, 2026
General karthief
O
Sooty/Oily Front Engine & Pulleys
  • ozenator
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
402
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 22, 2026
Blackhawkxx
S
Fox Another try for the European guy to get his first Fox
  • Schargedfox
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
10
Views
321
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 4, 2026
DadLife0724
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
18
Views
549
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sunday at 4:40 PM
manicmechanic007
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?