SN95 Rust Or Dirt From Fuel Filter?

It's finally starting to become nice out, so I was able to unhook my old aeromotive a1000 fuel filter and to change the fuel filters. My fuel pump was slowly dying and finally was on her last breath before I put the car away for the winter. After draining 10 gallons of fuel (that was fun), I unhooked all the line and found this on the intake filter! Is this dirt or rust?

Attachments

• 0328161816.jpg
    0328161816.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 0328161816.jpg
    0328161816.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 0328161844a.jpg
    0328161844a.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Sponsors (?)

The ethanol in the gas causes a moisture layer that will cause all sorts of problems if allowed to sit. It's even worse for 2 cycle engines.

Would moisture from the garage floor do any damage? When it gets humid Here in northern Illinois my garage floor sweats something fierce. When the concrete was poured decades ago they must not have put a moisture barrier down? Nothing in the garage is rusty, so never was too concerned about it.

Last edited:
Dropped the tank, found out Its aeromotive, and took a peek inside. There's rust spots along the weld where a sump was installed. So at least I know what caused my fuel pump failure, but what do I do now about the rust? Its not a ton but enough to wreak havoc.

I think @madmike1157 has used some type of stuff you put in the tank and swish around. I think it is for hole repairs, but perhaps it would help seal the rust too? Maybe he will chime in.

Joe
Yeah,...I'll chime in. If you can get your hand in there and wire brush the loose rust, you can do one of two things:

You can buy the gas tank sealer kit from eastwood. It's two parts, one is an acid based cleaner, and the other is a sealer that you slosh around to coat all parts of the inside.

Or you buy a gallon of muriatic acid, slosh it around to eat the rust (it will also eat the galvanizing off your tank).
Then rinse that with water,...and go to O reillys and buy one qt of red kote. Pour that in there, an slosh it around untill it coats every inch of your tank, and dump out the rest.

Either way it's the same treatment. The Eastwood cleaning treatment is diluted muriatic acid (so you may want to do the same if you choose plan B)