S-197 Shelby's

Bay Area

Mar 4, 2008
Authentic, mint, original, classic Shelby's go for over six figures these days. Do any of you think the Shelby's of today will appreciate in value as it did with the classics? My vote is yes, but only for the fact that this might be Shelby's last stretch of cars.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on quantity and demand. I dont know the numbers that were produced then and now but how many are left from then and how many were produced? How many are produced now? Lets say 40 years from now you drive an electric car and cant buy gas (which I doubt) the car wont be worth a hill of beans. I think the name will stick as it has and continued to develop more cars and the appeal people have to them (including me). So yes, I do think they were appreciate in value. ")

I don't know if they will appreciate in value nor do I care. I'm having a hell of a time driving them now and that's all that matters.

I don't plan on selling anything though. I plan to mod my Shelby GT...heavily. :)

I don't see anyway the new ones SHOULD be worth as much as the old ones. But then I don't think they ought to bring what they do now.
I would love to have one, but they are not that much more than a GT.
The original Shelbys, that's another matter.

I think the ones that will definitely be worth something will be the Super Snakes and MAYBE the GT500KR due to how few they are making. The only Ford I can see really catching decent coin in the future is the Ford GT. The Shelby GT was limited at under 10k so we'll see if that gets them anywhere. I wouldn't bet on it.

It'll likely be worth something decent in the future, but chances are it won't be until 2040 or 2050 til they really gain value. Its hard to say though with how finicky the market can be. The car market isn't a whole lot different than the stock market - at least with niche vehicles. We are right now in a big upturn. Mach 1's for instance are worth about 3-4 times what they were 10-15 years ago.

There were over 2000 1967 GT500s and another almost 1200 1967 GT350s. That was the year of highest production for the GT500, unless you factor in the 1968 GT500KR's, in which case there were about 3000 1968 500's. 1967 was the second lowest for the GT350s. Only 1965 had fewer - about 570 - GT350s.

No.

Classic Mustangs were never cherished, just driven as cars so they crashed and rusted away and are now rare.

The GT500 has nothing to do with Shelby bar a badge so who cares.

Too many being produced. I think 50% are being hived away as investments which will never happen as they'lll be two a penny when they all come out and you'll be able to choose your color and options pack. Oddly, the Shelby GT, which does have something to do with Shelby and which will probably get used may well appreciate a little but who cares.

The old Shelbys were something fast and track-oriented in a world of slushy and soggy handling motors. The GT500 is pretty much the opposite with it's power being offset by weight. Sure you can tune them but then they're not stock...Catch 22.

Finally, we're nearly 45 years on from the first Mustang. In another 45 years, gas-powered cars could have been forced off the road by green tree-hugging legislation which in my book means you better use it while you can.

Finally, 10 years time...Shelby who? :ban: