Safest tire size for OEM Bullits

• Sponsors (?)

merc123 said:
I have some OEM bullits and was wondering what's the max size I can go. I was thinking about a 255 or 275 tire.

From what I have read on here. Nitto 275 will fit on the stock 8" rim. It would fit, but there would be a little bit of sidewall buldge. I have been looking into this recently myself. There are those that will say it is safe and those who will say the opposite is true.

I went ahead and decided on the Nitto 255/40/ZR17 Extreme ZR's. I will post some pics when i put them on. However, tires aint cheap and im gonna be milking the last bit of tread i have on those stock goodyears. So it may by 1-3 months away.

Discounttire.com says:

Optional Size(s)

PLUS ZERO
275/40-17

A "Plus Zero" application refers to installing a different size tire, say, slightly wider than the original tires, but one that will still fit on the original wheels.

It's safe but you toss alot of handling/performance out the window. Not to mention it looks very bad.

I wouldn't go that big on a 17x8 rim, my SS has 275/40's on a 17x9. Just get a BFG or another brand that make the best use of the cross section width.

Some manufactures tires are wider than others even though they are the same size.

Every manufacturer out there recommends no wider than a 255 on an 17x8" rim, even Nitto which everyone will agree runs narrower than most. Go to the manufacturer's website for the tires in question and look at the specs.