Salvage/rebuilt title question

djj62478

Member
Feb 25, 2026
37
2
18
Nj
Hey guys I'm looking at an 02 mustang that's is in great shape and i was ready to pull the trigger but then found out the title says classic, salvage, rebuilt. A vehicle report(not Carfax) said it had 8 different owners and was in 3 accidents. Car looks amazing and the owner claims it was just backed into and messed up the hood and bumper a little bit. What do you guys think. Also this would be a trade for my fox which isn't a showcar by any means, needs some interior finishing(for panels installed, visors, rear view and dome light and has the driver side strut tower repaired and has some surface rust underneath but not everywhere and no rot. Also the fox needs to be tuned because the amount of mods and the stock computer aren't getting along causing some surge and such. Idk what do you guys think? I don't know much about this salvage rebuilt title stuff. If I had Carfax they would probably give more info.
 
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..... Yessss... Yes, I see...

1790967379743.webp


Take it to a mechanic.
 
Sometimes a Salvage title dose not mean it had "bad" damage.
I had a Focus that was 2 years old, My daughter hit the rear bumper of the car ahead of her at a traffic light.
It was hard enough to deploy the air bags.
Actual body damage? The front bumper cover was scuffed. It was not broken, cracked or otherwise damaged, just a scuff in the paint.
BUT, because the air bags deployed, the Insurance company "Totaled" it. Had to get a salvage title.
Replaced the windshield, air bags, pre-tensioners and the restraints control module. Buffed out the front bumper cover and you would never know it had been in an accident. Regardless, it ended up with a salvage title.
 
I wouldn't be automatically scared of a salvage titled car. Owned a few over the years.

As suggested by the great and powerful NOOBZ- take it to a shop that can look at it on a lift to gauge the extent of damage and subsequent repairs. A properly repaired salvage car that is what you want and fits your budget is ok. Just know selling it will take the perfect buyer or a low price.
 
Agreed with all of the above. I had a 98 v6, before my stangnet days, that I rebuilt the title on. Car was great. It got sideswiped on a lot. I replaced fenders and pulled a dent out of a door and got the enhanced inspection and boom. Rebuilt title. It most definitely depends on the quality of the repairs as stated above. Good luck