Salvage Yard A/C Retrofit?

Hey Everyone,

I am thinking about adding an air conditioning system to my '68 and have seen the new kits from Old Air and Vintage Auto Air. They look like great kits but at ~$1000 they are not cheap.

I am trying to find out if there are any factory systems that could be sourced from a salvage yard that would fit the Mustang, either with or without a little modification. Sort of the 'Granada swap of A/C systems'. One consideration is that an older system would probably use R-22 and might need some rebuilding.

Has anyone found a compatible junkyard system and successfully installed it in their car? Is it just not worth the time / cost if you have to rebuild any components?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, bits of the engine setup, brackets, pulleys, compressor, would be shared by Ford cars with the same engine, same year. The best compatibility would be a 68 Cougar, it's the same system. 67 Mustang and Cougar were similar to 68. 69 and later had very little in common, the under dash unit and some engine brackets would do, but that's about it.

Old systems used R12, which would be pricey. Conversion would up your cost considerably.

The "Perfect Fit" system is interesting, uses aftermarket vents placed like the factory, and uses the standard heater control to operate.

MS-Mustang6768Dash3L.jpg