Saw '05 Mustang on the road today... my thoughts!

• Sponsors (?)

yeah everyones got there own opinion, but go search for black beauty on these forums. And see if your opinion is the same its lowered got louvers, nice wheels, tints. you've got to like that

The new Mustang lacks refinements period.. it's obvious... Ain't a reason why I will not buy the car but I'll think twice before buying it..

To me it looks more like an ol' Camaro.. Guess what ? You don't like the plain hood ? Then just order a painted eagle on it...

Ford screwed it this time... That car isn't going to go far I predict...

It's not because you're a Mustanger that you have to be blind guys...
The old one was better looking...

The new Mustang lacks refinements period.. it's obvious... Ain't a reason why I will not buy the car but I'll think twice before buying it..

What do you believe makes it unrefined? Or should I guess? IRS, 6 speed, and no decorative scoops?

To me it looks more like an ol' Camaro.. Guess what ? You don't like the plain hood ? Then just order a painted eagle on it...

So I'm guessing you've never seen a classic 64-66 mustang. You might want to check one out. They look nothing like a camaro. Didn't the eagle come on the firebird not the camaro? At least try to get your GM cars straight. Especially while trying to make a comparision.

I guess that all depends on how you define far. Will it have great sales? Well just from the amount of people on this and other forums. I'm going to have to say yes. Sure there are a few detractors. But in general many many more people like it and want to buy one.

That is all a matter of personal opinion. And I won't debate personal opinionswith you. Predictions yes opinions no.

The '05 will sell quite well, I expect. This is the first time in my own experience where random non-Mustang people that I meet (at work, for example) say things like "damn, that's a nice looking car", or "that's the first Mustang I've liked in years", and so on. When the non-enthusiasts are saying good things about it, especially the import lovers, then I think it means this one is going to be a hit.

Dave

calvado said:

Well, I never liked Mustangs very much untill I saw the first black and white production picture of the 05. So I'm not a "Mustanger" and I would LOVE an 05 mustang gt.

HairyCanary said:
The '05 will sell quite well, I expect. This is the first time in my own experience where random non-Mustang people that I meet (at work, for example) say things like "damn, that's a nice looking car", or "that's the first Mustang I've liked in years", and so on. When the non-enthusiasts are saying good things about it, especially the import lovers, then I think it means this one is going to be a hit.

Dave

Yeah, same thing here.

calvado said:

You're out of touch with car buying Americans. People were knocking their dealer's doors down to get their orders in for 2005 Mustangs this past Monday (the 1st day dealers could really place orders with Ford). Name some other cars that will be produced in quantities nearing 200,000 units annually that customers were fighting to get their orders in 3-1/2 months before the vehicle goes into production? Ford's biggest problem with th 05 Mustang will be that they can't build enough of them to meet the demand.

I just saw an 05 (Redfire GT) in person. The dealer that it was at had at least 35 - 2004 Mustangs on their lot parked all around the 05. There is no comparison. The 04 looks like a hobbie-horse on roller skates compared to the 05. - I have the right to say this because I own a 2001 GT.

With only 1 advertisement in a local newspaper that said the 2005 Mustang would be a this dealer for only 3-1/2 hours, there were hundreds of people there to take a look at the 05 Stang.

Please name another car where customers are flocking to dealers and auto shows to get a glimpse of a high volume car that they won't be able to get their hands on for another 4 months.

Well again looks are objective but I will say again by refined I think he means it needs something to break up the lines. The difference between a 65 and 66 and this car were that they were more angular and had lots of chrome to break up the lines. The reason there are so many 04's on the lot is that dealers bought up as many as they could because they are due to sell out by july according to ford. Just because there are 35 there doesn't mean they aren't selling. The only other thing is 28k+ttt makes a 30k investment for a gt.

blazinsteed said:
Just because there are 35 there doesn't mean they aren't selling.

I did not say that the 04's aren't selling. In fact on a Year to Date basis, 04 Mustang sales are ahead of '03. This is a large Ford dealer that sells a lot of Mustangs, which is why they have 35 on their lot. Also becasue they sell a lot of Mustangs the got to be one of the 40 dealers that had a 2005 Stang on their lot as part of the GAPDII and 40 city tour that the 05 is on. The reason why I mentiond the 35 - 04 stangs was to emphasized the point that I had the chance to compare an '05 to a couple '04's that weren't more than 20' away from the 05.

The '05 wins hands down. :hail2:

You really have to see a 99 - 04 side by side with an '05 to appreciate how micky mouse they look compared to the '05.

I know people don't like hearing how their beloved 99 - 04 Stang is a POS. But read my signature, I own one. As much as it hurts me I have accepted that fact that my 2001 GT is a POS compared to the '05. It is going to cost me a bunch of $$ to get over my pain, but it's something I'll have to do. :D

I jumped ship and sold most of my GM cars just to buy an 05 Mustang...Ford is doing a much better job at attracting people with this car than GM ever did with anything they have ever built.

GTO :notnice: Bland and expensive (not even available in Canada :notnice: :notnice: so it gets 3)
SSR :notnice: way too expensive (Same price as the Vette here in Canada)

and that's all they got for V8 NON-Vette cars that could have been my choices to pick from.

I completely agree with the original poster. Will it sell? I don't see why not, the Mustang name has been around for a LOOOONG time... not like it's just gonna die out. But aside from that, the car is UGLY. Yea most people on the forums like it.... and who are most of the people on the forums? Car guys, drag racers.... in the real world, that's a minority. I saw it in person with several friends (guys/girls... some into cars, some not.. i don't know) they all thought it looked like crap. "It's so boring", "It looks like a giant box", "It has no curves"... is all I heard. The majority of people don't buy a car to race it, and a good amount of people aren't muscle car fans. People want to see "sexy" looking cars with lots of curves and details, this thing has none. I can definately see it appealing to older guys and "car people' though.

sixstringthing said:
I completely agree with the original poster. Will it sell? I don't see why not, the Mustang name has been around for a LOOOONG time... not like it's just gonna die out. But aside from that, the car is UGLY. Yea most people on the forums like it.... and who are most of the people on the forums? Car guys, drag racers.... in the real world, that's a minority. I saw it in person with several friends (guys/girls... some into cars, some not.. i don't know) they all thought it looked like crap. "It's so boring", "It looks like a giant box", "It has no curves"... is all I heard. The majority of people don't buy a car to race it, and a good amount of people aren't muscle car fans. People want to see "sexy" looking cars with lots of curves and details, this thing has none. I can definately see it appealing to older guys and "car people' though.

But you have to remember that is only your experience. I have talked with a lot of people who are not on these forums and don't own mustangs. And the majority of them like the car. And several are considering buying one. So your experience is different from mine. And to say that the minority likes it. Is only true in your exp. Sure it probably won't sell like the beattles or accords. But it will sell over well 100k units. And there are GM people jumping ship to buy it. Since GM is so late to the show with an affordable pony car.

And the problem with saying it will attract older guys is only semi correct. I believe statistics show the average age of mustang GT buyers are around 45 yrs old. Which by your definition means that ALL mustang gt's regardless of year appeal to older guys.

Who cares wether the majority of people like it or not? I like it. I bought it. I don't care what anyone else thinks of the car. I bought a Mustang because I like its looks, performance and value. I like the fact that it is one of the best Retro jobs to be done. I didn't buy it to impress other people; have other people oogle over my car; or because I have low self-esteem. If that were the case, I'd have a bought a Lexus or a Mercedes... Like half these people that don't own a home but have a Mercedes... and a mortgage on it... with the equity declining, not increasing.