scavenger tubes vs pcv valve

dragnazz5.0

My "0" key d0esn't w0rk, s0 I have t0 use the zer0
Nov 19, 2005
mooresville, nc
well ive been talking with my boss and i was telling him that i need to get a pcv valve hooked up and he mentioned a scavenger system hooked up from each valve cover to the exhaust. ive seen this setup and its proven that it works but its mostly on race cars. is there any benefit to using this setup as opposed to a pcv valve?

edit: obviously there would have to be a little more engineering to it than just hooking up a line from the valve cover to the exhaust. i was thinking of using a check valve from the smog pump system on each side. i dont know....i think jegs has something similar to what im thinking of though

• Sponsors (?)

To get that type of system to work, you'll need to ditch the mufflers...and dump the exhaust before the axle. You'll also need to install some baffles in each valve cover to prevent the exhaust from sucking oil straight from the covers.

IMHO, I'd just hook the stock pcv system back up.

dragnazz5.0 said:
well its a carb'd motor and there isnt a pcv system right now...just a breather. ive got dumps and i dont see why the mufflers would have anything to do with it

Well..it's my understanding that the exhaust scavenging systems need as little backpressure as you can get. The exhaust reverberations from mufflers can distrupt the venturi effect required to draw out gasses. Thats not to say it won't work, but with a muffler placement of the vacuum line is that much more crucial.