SCT tuner question?

tjmaxx

Jun 21, 2004
I just bought a used sct tuner from a guy and it said wrong vehicle. So I am guessing this means it is locked to his car. He told me it wasnt and that he set his car back to the stock tune. So my question is, is there anyway around it being locked or anyway for me to unlock it or is it a dud?

• Sponsors (?)

The guy probably did revert it back to the stock tune, but SCT X-cals are programmed to the ECU (computer) code of the specific vehicle. But if you call SCT and make up a story like you sold your other car but kept the X-cal and now need it for your new car...(lol) you can have them unlock it for you and have it re flashed for your new car. I think they charge $100 for this service, and you'll need to look under the passenger kick panel at the computer code written on the stop of the computer. It will be like MDX-1 (example) and you'll need to give that to SCT so they can recode your x-cal to that computer code.

Hope it works out for you :nice: personally just for that hassle you're about to go through is why i only buy stuff NEW.

Yea I thought I was getting a good deal buying it for $200 but not if I have to spend another $100.

Call them and find out. Hope it works out for you :nice:
FYI they are $380 NEW + additional money if you want more tune slots. So for $200 + $100 to unlock it again, you're still making out by $80-100 bucks....now is that savings worth the hassle of all that? who knows :shrug:

Actually, if he DID return it to stock, all you need to do is to download a copy of LiveLoad from SCT's website (free), also get the USB drivers from SCT, connect the XCal to your computer and then use LiveLoad to unlock it yourself. No $100 necessary for that. If he did NOT set it back to stock, then you have to send it back to SCT, with proof the previous car was wrecked or something and $150 to unlock it. Once it is unlocked, either way, you need tunes for it. If it's a 9415, and XCAl 2 SF with the 'canned tunes' they should still be there and you can use them, not as good as a custom tune, but better than nothing. If it's a 9400, a regular XCal 2, then you need to buy custom tunes for it. We do this all the time for people - you buy them and we email them to you and you load them with LiveLoad. You can then datalog the car with LiveLink, another free program from SCT and send the logs to us and we can email updated tunes to you.

Hope this helps!
Don

Actually, if he DID return it to stock, all you need to do is to download a copy of LiveLoad from SCT's website (free), also get the USB drivers from SCT, connect the XCal to your computer and then use LiveLoad to unlock it yourself. No $100 necessary for that. If he did NOT set it back to stock, then you have to send it back to SCT, with proof the previous car was wrecked or something and $150 to unlock it. Once it is unlocked, either way, you need tunes for it. If it's a 9415, and XCAl 2 SF with the 'canned tunes' they should still be there and you can use them, not as good as a custom tune, but better than nothing. If it's a 9400, a regular XCal 2, then you need to buy custom tunes for it. We do this all the time for people - you buy them and we email them to you and you load them with LiveLoad. You can then datalog the car with LiveLink, another free program from SCT and send the logs to us and we can email updated tunes to you.

Hope this helps!
Don

I dowloaded the live load but how do I download the drivers? Also in the menu for the live load I just chose repair and then went back in and chose modify:shrug:

If your computer is seeing the Xcal, you don't need additional drivers. You should have hit the unlock button - doesn't need to be repaired. If it won't unlock that way, then the previous owner never returned it to stock

If your computer is seeing the Xcal, you don't need additional drivers. You should have hit the unlock button - doesn't need to be repaired. If it won't unlock that way, then the previous owner never returned it to stock

I'm pretty sure that still doesn't work. It "unlocks" the SCT tuner...but since its not married to his new ECU/PCM he STILL can't use it to TUNE the car. So its still useless without SCT touching it -I THINK-

Dude I think you have a crappy time ahead of you either way. I bought one for $500 total, but that was the tuner + 2 custom tunes + dyno time to create the tunes. I feel ur pain and that's why I bit it and bought the new one.

I'm pretty sure that still doesn't work. It "unlocks" the SCT tuner...but since its not married to his new ECU/PCM he STILL can't use it to TUNE the car. So its still useless without SCT touching it -I THINK-

Since I wrote the Xcal 2 instructions for SCT, I'm preeeety sure what I said was accurate... If was turned back to stock, LiveLoad should be able to unlock it without SCT's intervention. It will need custome tunes thoug if it's a 9400...

Don