SCT tuner question

hello, A friend of mine has a SCT Xcal 3 tuner. He has 3 different tunes for his truck. I am wondering if I would be able to take his tuner, hook it up to my stang and change things like the gear ratio, trac control, tire size etc. Once you change these settings are they installed on your car, or does this require me to run a tune specific to my car. I have not done any performance mods yet, but I do plan on doing a gear swap/rear-end rebuild this winter, and want to know if I can use his tuner to change the ratio on my cars computer.

• Sponsors (?)

No you can not. That tuner is for his computer code it will not work on your car. Even if it's unlocked it still will not work on your car. Even if it did work you have to load a tune in your car to change anything and that would lock the tuner to your car and he couldn't use it.

If the X3 was made before 7/25/09, then it works just like an SF3, meaning it comes preloaded with tunes for most Fords as well as having space for custom tunes. Can't use a custom tune for another vehicle unless the PCM strategies match, but if it's preloaded with tunes you might be able to adjust one of those for your axleratio. If it is not a preloaded programmer, then you'll need a custom tune from an SCT dealer that's written for your vehicle's PCM strategy.

Looks like OxfordGT already answered this while I had the reply page open and even brought up a good point about the device being married to the vehicle while it is tuned.