Seat and Electrical Problems

jshell55

Nov 28, 2009
I have this old 94 Stanger and like many on the forum, the driver front seat motors have been dead for ages.....It has not been a problem up until now, because it is a manual transmission, and the only 2 in my family that can work a clutch without crashing into something solid are the same size....

But I got an 04 stang the other day, and now it is time to sell the old one, and I need to get this seat fixed so that someone over 5-6 can drive it (yes, I am a shorty)....

The seat is locked in the far front position in such a way as to be over the removal bolts... not good.

Awhile back I found out that there is no juice going to this seat. Several of the other posters in this forum have had the same problem but I took my tester one day and figured out by consulting one of the online wiring diagrams that this thing is on the same circuit as the cig lighter in the center console, which was also dead. The fuse is good, it's dead below the ignition switch: When I had my electrical work done they said the ignition switch is worn out, and that was the whole problem... but I do not feel like swapping it out....

So my plan is, to hotwire this circuit directly to the battery, because I think it will come back to life....thus making me happy.

I tried to remove the center control console (the plastic console that the gear shifter sticks through.... Could not figure out how to get it out without breaking it. I think by running a hot wire from the cig lighter to the battery, there will be power to this circuit and I can move the seat...So, if someone has removed this before without messing it up it would be great to hear how you did it.

Plan B is try to figure out another way to move and/or remove the seat... can't get to the front bolts because the seat stopped in the front position....

Then I could get under there, test the motors, and if needed replace them or something....

Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Update:

I went out and removed the seat switch by taking out the two philips screws that held it in.

The intent was to use my tester to see if I could jump through the switch and get those motors to move.

I ran a wire from the positive battery terminal to the back of the switch. It did not take too long to figure out which wire was the positive feed.... it was the black with white stripe, the only one that did not spark when I touched it with the positive wire that I ran from the battery.

From that, sure enough, no problem to move the seat back a bit so I could get access to the front seat bolts, after that, no problemo to get the whole thing out....

I ran a hot wire from the 20-amp fuse hole in the interior compartment fuse box (used the one for the power locks, since this old stang does not have power locks) under the carpet and up through the same hole as the rest of the seat wiring. I was responsible and put a 20-amp inline fuse onto this wire so as to not have a flaming electrical fire at some point.

Spliced into the black/white farther back from the switch, no potential issues with it getting tangled up when running the seat back and forth. Used nylon ties to tie the whole thing down.

So, I am ready to declare Automotive Brilliance and put this old guy in the paper. I really loved this car, drove it 164K and it took me through some good and bad days, and were it not for the fact that I got a better, cushier mustang, I would keep it, even more so now that I can adjust the front seat for the first time in five years.