Seat belt retractor help needed

jordanvraptor

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2002
Oregon City, OR
passenger side belt was twisted so I tried to straiten it out but it went in twisted again this time even farther and now it won't come out anynmore. Is there a reset or some lever in the mechanism that I can get the belt to unroll again? I cant see anything or feel anything in there but I haven't removed the entire interior quarter plastic panel thing yet. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to mess with your car....:(

• Sponsors (?)

Taking my knowledge of the last seatbelt assembly I pulled apart, what pulls the seatbelt is a coiled up spring. If the seatbelt doesn't retract all the way it could be detatched from the spring, spring could be shot, or the spring could be all bent up.

You may have to pull the damn thing apart. I'm no expert though.

The spring seems to be working fine, it is just that because it got twisted while retracting, there is a greater thickness of belt wrapped around in there than there was supposed to be. I'm just wondering if I take the panels off and get in there , is there some way of releasing tension on the spring or should I just go take it to the dealer?:shrug:

The spring seems to be working fine, it is just that because it got twisted while retracting, there is a greater thickness of belt wrapped around in there than there was supposed to be. I'm just wondering if I take the panels off and get in there , is there some way of releasing tension on the spring or should I just go take it to the dealer?:shrug:

I have had this happen to me in the past on another car, but to be honest, I dont remember exactly what I did to fix it. Take it to KKP, Big E has lots of magic in his fingers:nice: