Fox Seating position and steering wheel

irishgt1

Sep 25, 2018
Fox Lake Illinois
I have an 87 mustang gt manual. i am trying to get the most comfortable seating position possible but cant seem to make that work. i am short at 5'8" but have a long torso and short arms, i am also 270 lbs. my issue is that when i get my seat to a position that i can reach the steering wheel and shifter comfortably that my knees are hitting the steering wheel when i shift gears. i have factory seats and steering wheel. would me changing out my seats lower my legs enough to keep me away from the steering wheel or should i change out both and to what size steering wheel or should i get one that is not flat but has a couple inches of depth to it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

There's probably a few things you can do. You can do all, or some, or none as you'll untilimately need to decide.

Aftermarket steering wheels are typically smaller in diameter. The stock wheel is almost 15" in diameter (380mm) but you can find aftermarket wheels in 350mm (14") or even 330mm (13") diameters. Also, the hubs most use to mount tend to push the wheel slightl closer to the driver by 1-3" depending on the hub you use and if you use detachable hub.

Lower seating position would also help, but the issue is using aftermarker rails/brackets on a stock seat. Sure it could be done, but i don't know offhand how it compares to stock seating position.

I also had issue with my legs hitting the wheel, and after changing my steering wheel, and going to a lower seating position with aftermarket seats, i can sit closer to the wheel, and tilt the wheel down a few extra notches and not have the wheel rub my legs.

Reactions: 1 user
There's probably a few things you can do. You can do all, or some, or none as you'll untilimately need to decide.

Aftermarket steering wheels are typically smaller in diameter. The stock wheel is almost 15" in diameter (380mm) but you can find aftermarket wheels in 350mm (14") or even 330mm (13") diameters. Also, the hubs most use to mount tend to push the wheel slightl closer to the driver by 1-3" depending on the hub you use and if you use detachable hub.

Lower seating position would also help, but the issue is using aftermarker rails/brackets on a stock seat. Sure it could be done, but i don't know offhand how it compares to stock seating position.

I also had issue with my legs hitting the wheel, and after changing my steering wheel, and going to a lower seating position with aftermarket seats, i can sit closer to the wheel, and tilt the wheel down a few extra notches and not have the wheel rub my legs.

Thanks Alot for the info thats exactly what i was looking for. I am thinking about updating to the 2015+ mustang seats and using factory brackets. i didnt realize the stock steering wheel was 15" thats a good thing to know as i think getting a smaller one will really help. Thank you so much for the help.

Double check and measure yours first to confirm that's accurate. It's been some time since I've measured my stocker but I do recall my 350mm wheel is slightly smaller.