Self Installing New Wheels and Mounted Tires

RiceRoketToMust

Apr 22, 2005
I expect my new shipped 19" wheels with 255/35 f, 285/40 r mounted tires tomorrow. I thought about putting them on before driving to a weekend trip 200 miles away, but I'm concerned something might happen with the setup. Generally do you just put them on and not worry or do you look out for problems? Speedometer problems, etc?

They come with Bolts, Locks, and hub centric rings from need4speedmotors.com.

2005 Mustang GT
Stock..not lowered yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Just bolt them on but make sure that, if the tyres are directional, you fit them rotating the correct way. There should be an arrow on the sidewall pointing forwards if they're directional. If the wheels are for a 2005, you should have no problems on clearance at all.

I assume the wheels are balanced before shipping. If not, you'll need to get them balanced. While the wheels are off, take off the little clips on the wheel studs as they can cause imbalance. they only fit them to locate the discs during assembly.

LV51FER said:
Just bolt them on but make sure that, if the tyres are directional, you fit them rotating the correct way. There should be an arrow on the sidewall pointing forwards if they're directional. If the wheels are for a 2005, you should have no problems on clearance at all.

I assume the wheels are balanced before shipping. If not, you'll need to get them balanced. While the wheels are off, take off the little clips on the wheel studs as they can cause imbalance. they only fit them to locate the discs during assembly.

Thank you LV51FER

Yes the wheels are prebalanced and they are directional. I was told when I remove the stock wheels to look for 'stock rings' around the studs and to remove them with a screw driver or plyers. I guess these are the 'little clips' that you mentioned?

They are indeed. Make sure you tighten the lug nuts as much as you can while the wheels are off the ground and then lower the jack just enough so the tyres stop the wheel turning to fully tighten them then you can drop lower the jack fully and check they're all completely tight. That way, there's no danger the wheel won't be bolted on properly.

LV51FER said:
They are indeed. Make sure you tighten the lug nuts as much as you can while the wheels are off the ground and then lower the jack just enough so the tyres stop the wheel turning to fully tighten them then you can drop lower the jack fully and check they're all completely tight. That way, there's no danger the wheel won't be bolted on properly.

Thanks, I will do so with the Tyres :canada: or as us Yankees :flag: spell it, Tires.

hotrodnut said:

Fine. My neighbor has teeth like the guy below. I'll have him tighten the bolts with his 'torque wrench' teeth. Period!

Attachments

• RichardKielJaws.jpg
    RichardKielJaws.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 73
LV51FER said:

I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm posting pics showing an arrow of what I guess is the clip that you said to remove on each wheel? I take it the second pic shows the balance weights and of course I leave those alone. I'm used to seeing the old style weights that were hammered onto the rim edge.

no, i dont believe that that is the correct clip. the clip that i think is in question is on the lugs. it slips on the lug and holds the rotor in place for the assembly workers. the stock wheels have a recess for the clip, but most aftermarket wheels do not. i dont remember seeing a pic of it anywhere. just pull your stock wheels off and you will see it on 2 lugs.