Selling cars on ebay, questions and advic

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
Because I have some feedback on my ebay account while my friends a newbie, I'm gonna try to sell his cars for him. He has a 67 Galaxie with a built 429, and a 70 Buick Skylark GS 350. Both cars have a lot of potential but are projects, and he doesn't have the time/money/experience to turn them into what they can be. Anyway, like I said, I want to sell them for him.

Soooo... any advice? I was gonna take an assload of pictures, and i was going to point out the strengths of each car while making it clear that they are projects and do need work, and then say I prefer local buyers but if a long distance buyer wants to pay for shipping thats their perogative. Any other advice?

• Sponsors (?)

Be sure to be realistic in the description. When I sell I invite the buyer to see the car before/after the sell. (Anyone that would buy a 30+ year old car, site unseen, deserves what they get!!) I'm not sure if that's something your willing to do, but it builds perspective buyers confidence with something of that nature in the ad.
E-bay is full of guys trying to dump some rust bucket off on some unsuspecting person. I refuse to be one of them.

I have sold about 5 cars on ebay! Do yourself a favor and look at a couple of ads before you post. This will give you some good ideas and help fill in the blanks for your ad. Make sure you state the deposit is non-refundable.

thanks for the advice..

i too would be wary buying a car off the internet that i haven't seen before... I could say that if they refund my posting costs the winning bidder could physically check out the car without having to buy it, if they don't buy I just repost.

Any other advice?

SadbutTrue said:
thanks for the advice..

i too would be wary buying a car off the internet that i haven't seen before... I could say that if they refund my posting costs the winning bidder could physically check out the car without having to buy it, if they don't buy I just repost.

Any other advice?

Then keep your deposit down to a reasonable amount.
you will not be out your posting cost and have a few bucks for your trouble.

This way you won't be swamped with Looky Loo's and deadbeats.

Be willing to send pic's to those who show a true interest.
Don't wash the car and take pic's while the ground under it is wet,
That is one thing that will turn some buyers off, [me for one]
Be HONEST it will sell.

PB