Serious interior flooding issues with my car!!!

satinleafct

Oct 19, 2005
FL
Big problems with my car right now, 2006 GT. I had it parked on the street last weekend during some bad storms, when I came outside on Sunday the passenger side of my car was flooded, 3 inches in the back seat and 1/2 inch in the front. I dried it out, removed the interior on that side and flipped the carpet up to dry it out. I thought it had flooded because the water had risen so high and the car was parked on a slant, hence only the passenger side flooding....Thought everything was fine.......

Well today I'm driving home and it's pouring rain again.... all of a sudden I look down and the passenger side is flooded again?!!?? It seemed like it was coming down from behind the dash!?!?!?

What is going on??? the door seal appears fine.... all i removed was the plastic interior panels and the passenger and back seats, to dry it out initially, nothing that appears like it would block water???

I am completely stumped right now, any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

The same thing happened to me... Mine was leaking both from the windsheild seal as well as the air box. Ford fixed both, and replace the whole carpet, insulation, padding, and rear seat. I haven't had any problems since they fixed it, so at least they know where the problem lies and how to fix it well. It does royally suck that this happens in the first place. I should not have had to fix leaks and replace the whole freaking interior on a car with only 10k miles on it.:notnice:

I had water in my passenger floor, although not to the extent you describe. The dealer fixed it once, but just in the past month, I noticed the floor was wet again. Of course, I'm now past my warranty period :(.

Still leaks!

Since my 6-9-09 comments the leaks still continue and Ford has disowned the issue. Poorly designed cab on our beloved Mustang. All TSB items were fixed (so they dealership claims) to no avail. Thinking about upgrading to the 2011 5.0 but sitting back waiting to hear about "defeats" before making any decisions. :(

99% of the cabin leaks come from clogged cowl drains. If you park outdoors a lot you need to clean the debris that collects in the cowl and open up the drains. It is simple and takes all of 5 minutes. When the drains are clogged the water can't drain out and it overflows into the cabin. This also gets the cabin air filter wet so it should be replaced too.

This is a very simple maintenance issue.

My car stays parked in the garage at home and work, so it wasn't my cowl drains, although it could be for others. The dealer fixed mine again, out of warranty this time. They did work with me on the price some since they had previously "fixed" it under warranty. The thing is, since my Stang is inside so much, it is tough to know for sure if it really got fixed. No issues so far, but it rarely sees rain.

Mine floods too...

I purchased the car in April '06. In 2007 I noticed after a heavy rain that the passenger side floor was flooded. I took the car in for service but they were unable to recreate the problem. The problem came back with regularity 2009 just around warranty expiration. After heavy rains, the car has been collecting water somewhere in the dashboard/firewall area. It can be heard sloshing side to side as I turn the car left to right. The water then drains out onto the floor on the passenger side. I am very displeased with the response from Ford in that I must pay for the repair of this defect since I am currently out of the warranty period. this issue was a preexisting problem which has deteriorated to regularity just after warranty lapse. Factory recall anyone? Class action....? help from Ford for the loyal?

i had the same problem with my 06 gt except it shorted out a power distribution box in the passenger side kick panel which would cause my windows to roll down by themselfs and my lights to turn off at night while driving (scary). i still had my vehicle under warrenty but just outside of the 35k mile bumper to bumper, and i had to pay for it anyways since it was damaged by water which is not covered as specifically outlined in the warrenty. after they "fixed" it for the 3rd time i loved the car but had no choice but to get rid of it since they didn't fix anything and it was becoming to expensive. the power distrubution box was $1400 alone x3 :(.:notnice:

Just dealt with this lovely "undocumented feature" of the Mustang this past week.

Down here in SoCal we actually got quite a bit of rain and most of it ended up in my dad's 06 vert.

Water was 4 inches deep underneath the rear seats and a good one to two inches in the passenger floorpan. Drivers side was curiously dry and I could never trace the origin of the leak. I duct tapped darn near every corner possible but to no avail.

I had to take the rear seats out to dry them and the car has had a nice damp smell for the past few days and fogged up the windows from the inside.

As it's an '06, with 120K miles on it would there be any point to taking it in to the stealership? Without warranty a new top wont come cheap.

Any ideas gentlemen?

Oh and Merry Christmas!

Check this out. May be part of the problem. Water can wick in the area circles. Most of the time the problem is occurring when the car is being driven in the rain according to people having this problem on another site. THis view is with the passenger side inner wheel wheel and tire removed. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• wheelwell leak.jpg
    wheelwell leak.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3,234
water on floor 06 GT

I just fixed a water leak that caused wet floor on both front sides of car. Wet carpets and smell.It also was leaking on a large electrical connector on passenger side.
The leak in my case was coming from a faulty seal around the door opening.I removed foot scuff plate and plastic covers in front of this to expose body and electrical which is behind a small removable door just ahead of passenger side door. Put garden hose on roof and water coming in badly down in the foot well when run over roof and passenger side window.
Now the fix. roll down passenger side window,open door,pull off rubber seal that runs around entire window on body of car but leave it hanging and attached at either end, remove 8 or so screws from the plastic molding that holds the rubber window seal,remove molding carefully by pulling lightly on it, inspect it and you may find that the 1 sided sticky seal that is stuck to this seal holder to seal this to the body is damaged. I couldn't believe what mine looked like and it was very obvious there was a problem with it.I'm not sure if it creeped over the years or if it is a build defect or over site The electrical connector also had been wet and is a tiny bit damaged but I will try to clean that up too.The electrical connecter opens easily and can be inspected. I bought some 1 inch by 3/16 truck cab weather stripping at home depot and replaced the damaged /worn out sticky tape on the window seal holder,reinstalled and did water test and all seems ok. Just have to let the carpets dry out. Repeat for drivers side too.