Shattered Alternator Bracket

85rkyboby

Mar 2, 2011
South ATL
Anyone ever shattered/busted an alternator bracket? Happened on the way home from a car show yesterday. Shattered that alternator bracket, busted my Powermaster 140A, belt is gone, and snapped the 3 grade 16/18 bolts that held the bracket on right in half. It almost felt as my exhaust fell and was scrapping. Then it got more intense and felt like the driveshaft was dragging. Lost power steering, due to the belt coming off. Then my old lady said it felt like something was pushing up on her passenger seat. She started freaking out in fear of a violent @ss reaming. Then I got lucky and we had a big old parking lot to coast down into where we waited for a tow. Really confused as to how it happened.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a pic. Not much to see but the bottom of the bracket in the picture is broke into three separate pieces.

Attachments

• 2014-8-24 Alternator & Bracket Busted.jpg
    2014-8-24 Alternator & Bracket Busted.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 169
Must have been a flaw in the bracket that went unnoticed. Even if the alt had seized, the belt would have spun until it frayed through. The other pulleys help spread the load from the tension.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright well after inspection it was the the bracket that broke. The bolts that held the bracket on snapped clean in half. That part of the bracket is fine. What broke was the alternator, the side that takes the smaller bolt is gone, don't have it. The part of the alternator that the bigger bolt went through is still on the alt. bracket. Nut, bolt, washer, part of alternator & all. :thinking:

Would this be something to take up with Powermaster or will they just give me the run around?