Shift light & Line lock

Gears & Crosses

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
Southern, Miss.
I want to buy a shift light only for my 86 GT. Which one do you guys like? I am kinda looking for one to launch on at the track. No pills for me by the way.

Also I want a Line lock too. What brand do you like. Do I need any extra parts?

Thanks ahead of time, I'm - :Track:
Gears

• Sponsors (?)

Autometer sells shift lights without the big tach...people usually mount them on the steering colum right behind the steering wheel..

TCI for the linelock but im pretty sure they only make those for automatics

yes i was thinking transbrake...,please explain how a linelock for a manual transmission works. i am unfamiliar with this

You put your foot on the brake, press a button (located usually inside the shift boot), a solenoid locks the fluid in the front half of the brake system, then you can release your foot from the brakes and the front wheels stay locked as long as you hold the button.

a line lock ties into your brake lines. basically it is in between your front brakes and master cylinder so you can activate it and leave your rear end brakes open so that a burn out can happen. you build up pressure by pumping it a few times then hit the button where ecer you have placed it, for the lock which will hold the brake pressure until you release the switch.

hurst roll control is prob the most popular one. biondo is a good one i hear as well. Hurst also sells a mustang brake line kit to go with the line lock. not sure if it has all the fittings though cause the mustang uses metric fittings or something. i dunno cause i haven't done it myself yet.

Thanks for the advice Cobra! Looks like the Hurst for me. Did you need a special kit to fit the Hurst Roll Control or would I be better off fabbing it myself?

I was wondering if anyone has used the Raptor shift light? Anyone use the dual mode model?

Thanks,
Gears

You put your foot on the brake, press a button (located usually inside the shift boot), a solenoid locks the fluid in the front half of the brake system, then you can release your foot from the brakes and the front wheels stay locked as long as you hold the button.

i have been enlightend!
thanx for clearing that up...and to jerryd for the additional explaination.

i have been enlightend!
thanx for clearing that up...and to jerryd for the additional explaination.

no problem.
It's really pretty worthless if you don't goto the track.
Unfortunately for my rear tires, when i was 18 and got the car, i ran into someone that told me it was there (i had no idea, i got the car a couple years old), i then proceeded to ruin a few sets of tires.

I have a Stewart Warner LED shift light with a digital tach in the middle.. The shift light controls nitrous or the intercooler spray.. Totally programmable, I love it.

I was looking at that light! I like it too. I decided to buy a Mallory 865 igniton box its built in 2 step to help with the launch. Thats what I wanted the shift light for.

Thanks for all the replies,
Gears