Shifter vibration

tealGT

Dec 14, 2006
I have developed a small shifter vibration on a 94 Gt.
The car has been lowered (FRP lowering kit), and has 3.77 gear.

I purchased the car with the mods. The tires, wheels, and brakes are in good condition & balanced.
The rear end is quiet.

I almost think it coming from a bad drive shaft (balance). Ujoints are in fine condition.

I am wondering if this is a common problem with lowered cars?
Does FRP make a Al drive shaft for this car?
Does a fox drive shaft fit?

thanks in advance

d

• Sponsors (?)

At what speed does the vibration make itself known? If you do a search, you'll come up with tons of posts on this particular subject. It seems that its very common to experience driveshaft vibrations after doing a gear swap, as it spins considerably faster than it did with the stock gears at highway speeds. Mine starts to vibrate through the whole shifter at around 85+ mph, and its worse when I let off. U-joints are also good.
The solution appears to be to go with an aluminum driveshaft or have your stock one rebalanced (not worth it IMO). You might want to try taking off the dog bone (that big hunk of steel that sits atop the pinion on the differential casing) to see if it will lessen the vibration.

thanks

The vibe start at about 35 mph and gets the worse at about 45-50.
The vibe isn't that bad 70 or above.

The cast iron gizmo is not on the diff.

I'll search the site and see what pops up

thanks
d

1TMF's post is a good one. His first question is most important, as it helps differentiate the balancer from a driveline issue (stated another way, let us know if it ever occurs while the car is stationary).

Good luck.

EDIT: NM, you posted while I pecked. If you have a buddy with an alum DS, see if he will let you try it out.

Good luck.

The vibe start at about 35 mph and gets the worse at about 45-50.
The vibe isn't that bad 70 or above.

The cast iron gizmo is not on the diff.

I'll search the site and see what pops up

thanks
d

Does it continue to vibrate even if you go down a gear at that speed? I guess my question is does it only appear to vibrate in say 4th gear, and not in 3rd or 5th? And does it change/get worse/get better when you let off the throttle at that speed?

bad vibe

I forgot to say the car has a hurst shifter in it. I am not to fond of it. It has a stiff side to side gate. hard to find 5th and rev. poorly shaped lever.

vibe is more like a rattle.
does not matter what gear your are in or if the clutch is in or out.
Does not vibrate at all if you are moving.
No vibes are felt in the seat, dash or strg wheel.

regards
d

Clarification:
The shifter only vibrates (subjective issue, as it does vibrate at lower speeds but is barely noticable and not an issue) at speeds above 40 mph. The vibration does not go away at higher speeds but it does not get worse.

gear selection or clutch in/out does not change vibration; it seems to be linked to wheel speed.

clucth and tranny where just out for a freshing. The vibration was there before and after tear down. The new clutch and rebuilt tranny did not change the vibe.

thanks
d

Was the DS indexed during the R/R?
DS speed would be like wheel speed in that it's absolute with regard to vehicle speed.

Good luck.

I have the same hurst shifter and have the same exact problem. I'm thinking of getting a new shifter all together. I try'd to tune the shifter with no luck. There are two hex screws that control the lateral movement of the shifter, you can loosen them to make it easier to get into R/5 gear. I had the shifter installed with new gears and a new clutch/flywheel. Its never been right.