shifter vibration

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
I have a very bad vibration through the shifter at high load in 3rd gear. The vibration isn't relative to speed, as long as I'm in 3rd gear at moderate or high load, it will shake and rattle. I also noticed that there is quite a bit of longitudinal slop. This doesn't happen in any other gear.

Mine is a '04 with the 3650.

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, it could be a lot of things. Something to check though.
pop off your center consol and remove the shifter (4 bolts) check for obvious wear on the shifter bushing. Check shifter itself (aftermarket has adjustable stops)
It could also be internal play on the shift rail due to a bent/broken shift fork.
If pulling the shifter doesn't reveal the problem, Just start saving $$ and drive it till it breaks...
(thats what I'm doing) My 3650 sounds like there are marbles in it at idle, but shifts smooth as butter... weird

I'll give you guys some more info to narrow things down a bit.
I have already removed the shift stops in my Tri ax.
There is 15k on the clock and it has been raced, but never abused.
The bolts that are holding down the base of the shifter are tight.

I'll check that shifter bushing and pray that I don't have serious internal problems.

mine does that too sometimes, moreso since i got my magnaflow. I'm gnona assume it's the shifter bushing because I hear it coming from the shifter and it does it under load when there's more vibration (like trying to accelerate in SUPER TALL 5th gear), and i'm getting an MGW anyway

* oh and does the 3650 need shift stops? or are they built into the trans

Check your trasmission mount. Could also be a driveshaft or u-joint. If your trans mount is broken or damaged, it will exacerbate any pre-existing vibration in the driveline or chassis.

And yes it is a good idea to use the stops on the shifter. It will help to prevent damage to the shift forks and help to eliminate premature wear on the collar, gear, and synchronizer friction face.

Check your trasmission mount. Could also be a driveshaft or u-joint. If your trans mount is broken or damaged, it will exacerbate any pre-existing vibration in the driveline or chassis.

And yes it is a good idea to use the stops on the shifter. It will help to prevent damage to the shift forks and help to eliminate premature wear on the collar, gear, and synchronizer friction face.

thanks, and yeah i'll check the trans mounts. Something feels weird when I shift, as if the trans is moving. It's probably just in my head though, I'm a worry-wart. Sorry i'm not trying to hijack the thread :Zip2: