shifters......

four.six

New Member
Nov 27, 2004
443
0
0
Corpus Christi, TX
hello fellow cobra owners.. i just recently bought an 01 svt cobra with 26000 on it. the thing is bare stock and way faster than my gt was :D .. i think the first mod i am gonna get is a short throw. i was looking at a steeda tri-ax. my friend, who owns a gt, told me i should get a MGW. i looked at both of them on the internet and they are the same price... i'm not sure which to get :shrug: ..... i was wondering which one you all think is better??? any help is appreciated..... :cheers:
 
  • Sponsors (?)


four.six said:
hello fellow cobra owners.. i just recently bought an 01 svt cobra with 26000 on it. the thing is bare stock and way faster than my gt was :D .. i think the first mod i am gonna get is a short throw. i was looking at a steeda tri-ax. my friend, who owns a gt, told me i should get a MGW. i looked at both of them on the internet and they are the same price... i'm not sure which to get :shrug: ..... i was wondering which one you all think is better??? any help is appreciated..... :cheers:

Cool, I just got my 01, two weeks ago Friday :) Mine has 29,600 miles on her. Mine to is way faster than my GT.
Anyway, I've heard the MGW is better so that's what I'm going to go with.
What else are you going to do? I'm going to do an X pipe and pulleys first.
Good luck
 
CobraG said:
Cool, I just got my 01, two weeks ago Friday :) Mine has 29,600 miles on her. Mine to is way faster than my GT.
Anyway, I've heard the MGW is better so that's what I'm going to go with.
What else are you going to do? I'm going to do an X pipe and pulleys first.
Good luck


ya i have my off road x-pipe from my gt that i am gonna throw on there as well... i cant wait to here it.... so thats 2 for MGW and 1 for tri-ax... thanks for the help guys... any more thoughts???
 
four.six said:
ya i have my off road x-pipe from my gt that i am gonna throw on there as well... i cant wait to here it.... so thats 2 for MGW and 1 for tri-ax... thanks for the help guys... any more thoughts???

Will the o/r x from your GT fit on your Cobra? I have some parts I had bought for my GT but never installed and so far none of them will work so I'm selling them.
Anyway, I guess anything can work if you know what your doing :)
 
CobraG said:
Will the o/r x from your GT fit on your Cobra? I have some parts I had bought for my GT but never installed and so far none of them will work so I'm selling them.
Anyway, I guess anything can work if you know what your doing :)

yes the o/r x-pipe will fit........ now its 3 for MGW, and 1 for tri-ax... keep em coming guys... appreciate the info....
 
Iwvustang said:
I wish I had seen the MGW article or at least done a similar thread to this before I got the Tri-Ax. Not that it is bad, it is worlds better than the stock shifter, but it does seem the MGW is top dog now.
I wish the MGW unit was available when I was shopping for a new shifter myself! I ended up getting the Pro 5.0 which I'm very happy with, but after driving a car with the MGW I want to swap mine out now.

U.M.
 
Uncle Meat said:
The new MGW unit is the best shifter hands down! :hail2:

U.M.
I completely and totally agree with this statement...I had a Steeda Triax and my MGW shifter is so much better...Installation isn't that hard either...but here's a nice tip that shows an easy way of getting the stock shifter loose from the gasket maker from the factory...

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/shifter.htm
 
MGW is a superior shifter. Only reason I have a tri-ax is was freakin cheap (got it used)! Shifters are very easy to change out. You will have a little difficulty getting all of the bolts out (a couple are a pain to get to), but it should be a 30 - 40 minute job. You will need:
Ratchet set (w/ extender)
Razor blade (for scraping off old sealant)
Sealant (don't put on too much bc what you see coming out the sides is also coming out on the inside)
New bolts (should come with new shifter)

I think there were some detailed instructions on mustangworld.com
 
jbp99cobra said:
MGW is a superior shifter. Only reason I have a tri-ax is was freakin cheap (got it used)! Shifters are very easy to change out. You will have a little difficulty getting all of the bolts out (a couple are a pain to get to), but it should be a 30 - 40 minute job. You will need:
Ratchet set (w/ extender)
Razor blade (for scraping off old sealant)
Sealant (don't put on too much bc what you see coming out the sides is also coming out on the inside)
New bolts (should come with new shifter)

I think there were some detailed instructions on mustangworld.com

does it come with sealant or do i need to buy it?? and if so what kind?? thanks.