shims for limited slip

I pulled a limited slip from a mustang 7.5 rear diff from the junk yard for $28. I want to install the limited slip in my mustang so I can race in a month. I know the 7.5 diff is weak but its what I have and money is tight. The limited slip only has one shim and its on the passenger side spider gear. I thought there was suppose to be more. All the spider gears seem to be aligned well and move freely. Is there suppose to be more shims? Or just one shim?

• Sponsors (?)

There's two types of 7.5 LSD. One is a clutch type (like the Rangers, Mustangs, etc) and the other is a cone type. The cone type works great but they wear out and when they do wear, they bust...and easily. The cone style is mostly in '84-'85'-'86 Mustangs (SVO's especially) and GT's. Look for a Ranger or even better a 4x4 bronco II. 95% of the ones I've seen are all clutch style LSD's. I never broke a clutch type 7.5 LSD but I broke 4 or 5 cone types in my '84 GT that was, well, almost stock with street tires.

Identification from the outside...I don't really know. I just pull the cover off. IF it's got individual springs between the side gears usually it's a cone style. If you see an "S" spring between the side gears, it's usually a clutch type.

OR...if it's a 100% race car, you could always use a "lincoln locker"...meaning dig out the ol' Lincoln arc welder and weld up the spiders gears. It's an old circle track trick and it RUINS the diff assembly...and if not done right, they break and cause problems, but it's an option. Not adviseable but it is an option.