Shop and Tool Talk - LED Drop Lights

• Sponsors (?)

Do you think it was the heat of the bulb itself or the possibility that the incandescent bulb had a burning filament that instantly became exposed and ignited the fuel? I think it would be the latter. So by swapping to an LED bulb I think they'd be safer. :)
Yes, I think you are ok with an LED.....
My opinion is why would you want to fight one of those?? Those were all we had when I was young and it seems you could NEVER get them lighting up the area you were trying to work on... Most of the time it seems they only wanted to shine on your face and give your eyes " red dots"...
The next progression were the tube lights that were corded.....
I have two rechargeble LED lights now that I purchased at HF.... No heat and NO blinding me and no cord to fight with....
Just remember to turn them off when you make a parts run or break for lunch....

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I think you are ok with an LED.....
My opinion is why would you want to fight one of those?? Those were all we had when I was young and it seems you could NEVER get them lighting up the area you were trying to work on... Most of the time it seems they only wanted to shine on your face and give your eyes " red dots"...
The next progression were the tube lights that were corded.....
I have two rechargeble LED lights now that I purchased at HF.... No heat and NO blinding me and no cord to fight with....
Just remember to turn them off when you make a parts run or break for lunch....

Short answer: I'm too cheap to upgrade. ;)

I've had a tube style light quite a while ago, it broke in fairly short order and I never replaced it. I do have a magnetic LED flat style flashlight with a hook that I'll probably start using, but the old style hasn't failed me with the exception of burning bulbs. LED bulbs aren't safe from drops in that regard, either - I've knocked one of those out too. But it's generally an easy fix when it does die, just swap for a new bulb.

But I also have other tools in my arsenal, I have a project light like @Mustang5L5 shared complete with tripod when needed, a couple small LED flashlights, and now this flat style with a hook. I've learned to live with them so I just don't want to spend the money on something when I can get the job done with what I have. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been using the Braun Folding lights from Harbor freight for a couple years. The old version is 350 lumen, usb charge. They just came out with a new version that’s 500 lumen, double folding,and usb c. They’re currently on sale for $20.