Shop and Tool Talk - LED Drop Lights

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
Is there any one spot to talk about shop stuff and tools? Basically I wanted to see what LED drop lights people may have as I need a new one and would appreciate some real world input on retractable, cordless, one with plug ins on the light end, etc. Figured I would get more traffic in forum geared towards this rather than posting in one of the generation specific forums. I would think the vast majority of the regulars on here would have a drop light.

• Sponsors (?)

The Milwaukee cordless drop light works bit is cumbersome without the square battery. Unless you hang it with magnet hooks. Works for me and uses same battery as my other tools.
Screenshot_20230418_001621_Home Depot.jpg
Screenshot_20230418_001921_Chrome.jpg

I wish it came with magnets on the body of the light. Would make it easier.

I've had that m12 light since it came out. Beat the hell out of them, found a bunch of them bare tools on clearance in HD few years back for like $20 so grabbed the last few they had. Damn things grow legs here though with sticky finger relatives.

Last edited:
I rotate through whatever is on sale at Amazon. I break these things quicker than I can replace them. My kids also like to steal them for their tents/forts or whatever they do with them.

I think the one that has been the most reliable and i've used the most is this one that i got at Harbor Frieght under the Braun name.
Amazon product ASIN B07L5ZYGM6
View: https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Magnetic-Flashlight-Aluminum-Emergency/dp/B07L5ZYGM6/ref=asc_df_B07L5ZYGM6?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80470562648992&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070139576136&th=1
Damn thing has essentially helped me build my car.

I have a few other plug in and rechargable ones but that one seems to be the most handy for what I need

Reactions: 1 user
I also repurposed a few old industrial warehouse LED fixtures and hung them over where my engine bay is located. So when i pop the hood, i flip on these two lights and you can land a 757 with them.

My garage came with the two fixtures with 60W bulbs screwed in them when we moved in. About four years ago I installed 120V direct drive LED fixtures with two 4' light strips in each fixture. Ended up installing four of them on the ceiling over the two cars and the difference between them and the four 4 bulb fluorescent fixtures I had in the house down in Houston was literally night and day.

I have a fluorescent corded drop light that has seen better days and the light output is bad enough I used it under the car and have a LED pin light under there with me...:doh:

There is a Harbor Freight on the way home so I am gonna drop in there and check out what they have. I was thinking I wanted a corded light but with 50' of cord and on a reel but more and more rechargeable sounds like the way to go. Really appreciate all the responses!

Yep. Anymore, the LED options are bright, USB rechargeable, last a good while, and are positionable (some better than others).

I've had a few that I've [gravity checked] over the years too :O_o:

I still use an old school drop light like this.

60816788.jpg

I'm so behind the times.... :(

BUT - I did install an LED bulb. :banana:
I watched one of those drop on the floor one time, break and start a fire in some gas that had leaked on the floor while working on an engine.... Caused a fire and was lucky it did not do worse....

I watched one of those drop on the floor one time, break and start a fire in some gas that had leaked on the floor while working on an engine.... Caused a fire and was lucky it did not do worse....
Was it because the bulb ended up breaking or did the handle end of it break in half?

The incandescent bulb did break but the main factor was the heat....

Do you think it was the heat of the bulb itself or the possibility that the incandescent bulb had a burning filament that instantly became exposed and ignited the fuel? I think it would be the latter. So by swapping to an LED bulb I think they'd be safer. :)