Short term car storage question

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I know alot of you guys with 5.0s don't drive them daily and the guys up north have to store them for the winter. I have never had a car before that wasn't a daily driver. I have my '87 GT back now and even though I enjoy driving it I don't want to put a bunch of miles and wear and tear on it. Is there any thing that should be done if you are just gonna let it set up a few weeks or a month at a time? Should I start it once a week to keep the battery from draining or what? It will be in my garage and under a cover.

• Sponsors (?)

If its going to be in your garage, I wouldn't bother with a cover unless its a good quality cover. Cheap covers can end up scratching paint.

That said, I like to use a Battery Tender Junior plugged into the car if its going to sit for a few weeks.

0000_Battery_Tender_Junior_Black.JPG

This will keep the battery fresh so the car will fire right up.

If its going to sit for a very long time (a month or more), fuel stabilizer and fuel system cleaner (like Sea Foam) is a good idea.

If its going to sit for a VERY VERY long time (a few months or more), removing the battery from the car, fogging the cylinders with a good storage fogging oil (used a lot in the marine industry for storing boats in the winter) and sitting the car on blocks (to avoid flat spots on the tires) is a good idea.