Should i buy a 3v

97sn95

Apr 30, 2018
Bossier
So I'm looking at this 2005 mustang gt with 59000 miles hes asking 10000 completely stock owned by 2 owners both being old guys 5 speed manual everything works I'm just so skeptical about the 3v hearing bad stories and I own a 2v but I love the 3v body style and dont have enough money for a 5.0 so what would yall say

• Sponsors (?)

So I'm looking at this 2005 mustang gt with 59000 miles hes asking 10000 completely stock owned by 2 owners both being old guys 5 speed manual everything works I'm just so skeptical about the 3v hearing bad stories and I own a 2v but I love the 3v body style and dont have enough money for a 5.0 so what would yall say
There's only two worries about the 3v.

1. Spark plugs: The pre-2008.5 3v engines use a garbage 2-piece spark plug that often breaks off in the head when attempting to remove it. Use a cordless 3/8 impact wrench and some B12 Chemtool for removal and you've got a pretty solid chance of getting them out intact. Just make sure you have Lisle's broken spark plug removal tool for the 3v on hand in case you need it.

2. Cam Phasers: This problem is far more prevalent on the 5.4, but does occur on the 4.6 as well. If it ticks on a cold start, or has any deposits in the engine when looking through the oil filler, walk away. If not, it's fine, just run synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles and you'll likely never have an issue.

3V's are fine, I've never had any major issues with mine HOWEVER I did replace the cam phasers at around 80K- not because they were giving me problems, but that's when I installed my cams and was chasing another problem that turned out to be a manufacturing defect with the cams. The phasers are super simple to change out regardless. I also did my plugs around 80K, none broke but on one the hex spun off the plug so I had to break it off and use the Lisle tool to remove it anyway.

Beyond that I've really only had to do maintenance/wear items on my car.