Should I buy a 96 with blown up motor???

turp23

Jun 4, 2007
Louisiana
Currently, i own a 89 notch, with the mods listed in my sig. Its a great toy, but Im still working some bugs out. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a 96 from a family member, with a blown up motor. Let me elaborate on blown up. With the cruise set at 75 on interstate, a puff of smoke in rearview mirror, and motor dies. The entire top side of motor and engine compartment was covered in oil and antifreeze. Some sort of film on everything. From then on the motor has never been turned over again, to prevent further damage.

The 96 is loaded with aftermarket parts and goodies. Pipes, mufflers, headers, lowered, c&c plates, radiator and so forth. What kind of potential are we looking at here? How bad could the damage be? It would be a more secure car, a lot more comfort, newer, is there a downside compared to my 89?

My goal is to acheive a car that has obnoxious low end power and torque, but a daily driver. And loud too. Which direction should I go? I dont know if I want to leave you guys, but might be hard to pass up.:nono: posted over in 4.6 talk too, in case you guys want to see what they say.

I forgot to add that it is a GT.....

• Sponsors (?)

Well if you got the money, go for it, but if not the 5.0 will be nice:)

You can see which one I drive in my sig. for a daily driver, but mine didn't have a blown engine...

Tough choice...

I say let it be someone elses headache, unless the price is absurdly low, and if it is, fix it and re sell it.

But no way in hell i'd ditch a notch for a 96-98 mustang. You'd have to be out of your mind.
Everyone loves a notch, not many like a non PI 4.6, and even less like the 96-98 body style.

2000xp8 i dont agree with you at all,maybe because you dont like the 94-98 bodystyle doesnt mean that lots of ppl dont. it all depends what the price is that you can get the car for,then go from there.

2000xp8 i dont agree with you at all,maybe because you dont like the 94-98 bodystyle doesnt mean that lots of ppl dont. it all depends what the price is that you can get the car for,then go from there.

Actually...you're wrong. 94-98 DOES suck and everyone DOES love notches. I've seen like....2-3 of that era that look good. They're a typical chick car, top down, Rhianna and the vengas boys playing, blonde hair blowing in the wind with goggles for sunglasses. :puke: . Even in a hardtop you see some try hard trying to bang gears and race everything he sees because its labelled a Mustang and its faster than his moms Sebring. :notnice:

I say let it be someone elses headache, unless the price is absurdly low, and if it is, fix it and re sell it.

But no way in hell i'd ditch a notch for a 96-98 mustang. You'd have to be out of your mind.
Everyone loves a notch, not many like a non PI 4.6, and even less like the 96-98 body style.

And even more people hate the foxbody design and style...

...except for the few enthusiast like us...

Trust me, mustangs have been a major part of my life, and people don't like the style. I don't think its so bad, but i would not want to own one either.

You are going have to add at least 60hp more to a 4.6 non PI car to keep up with a minor bolt on notch.

And most people do love notches, even people that don't know crap about cars, say things like "i like the one with the trunk".

Me personally, i wouldn't want to own anything 96-04 that had a SOHC engine in it, but that's me.
Dohc engines, yes.

I have absolutely nothing against the LOOKS of a '96-'98 SN95, but mechanically, yeah, they're total dogs. Nothing short of a PI swap and/or forced induction/nitrous will make them amount to diddly-squat, and that's just more cost and labor than I'd ever be willing to spend ... especially when you can have a '94 or '95 that looks almost identical and can beef up to the same (or better) power level for 1/3 the price and work.

That being said, they do at least have the merit of being a relatively comfy, reliable DD Mustang. I love my 4.6 TurdBird, and it's essentially the exact same powertrain (except I've got the aluminum intake with the forward-facing TB), and that thing will probably outlive my poor Notch ... that is, of course, unless I wind up selling the thing, soon, in favor of some cheap-arsed beater car that gets over 40 MPG (*cough* Geo Metro *cough*)... :(

Buy it, fix it, and sell it to a dumb blonde with lots of money. :D