Should I buy this mustang to fix ?

Stanggrl95

Aug 17, 2003
San Diego
Hello, Should I buy this 92 gt hatchback for 1000 obo, The guy said this-the body has a crack in it under the back seat ,
and it needs a new metal piece that the right side upper control arm bolts
onto. It is a '92 , GT , hatchback .

How hard would it be to fix this?

• Sponsors (?)

I posted the same thread in "Mustang 5.0 Talk" and thay seem to think its a bad idea, So I think the tech people know a little more about stangs, Well I think. I hope its going to be a great deal, I will see tomarrow !

It certainly can be fixed, but like any car that has the torque boxes ripped out of it, you have to wonder what other problems might exist or that will manifest themselves later on from the way the car was abused :shrug: I would look for something else.

Stanggrl95 said:
What is this problem usally from? and what can be done to prevent this on stangs?

This problem is usually from driving the ever loving snot out of it. The reason why I said that I would say away from it in the other forum is because it means the car was definitely abused and because once that happens the car never launches correctly. If you are not going to race at the track, then it is fixable and won't cause too much of a problem. This can be prevented by installed the torque box reinforcements. Many Mustangs have this same problem. I actually think this is a little cheap for a car with only that problem, although I would have to see how bad it is. There are probably other problems with the car.

Look at this picture. This is a kid that I used to go racing with. You car see the torque box ripped out (just left of the rear tire). Even on Hoosier slicks, the car would still go sideways out of the box.

Kelly_Line_A.JPG

I would buy it for a grand. Is the paint and body in good shape? What does he mean the body has a crack in it under the back seat?(Floor Pan).

Do you know any good welders?

If it dosent work out use it as a parts car.

Stanggrl95 said:
How hard would it be to fix this?

If you have to ask, then its hard.

Torque boxes are not for the amature.

Find out the scoop on the car. If its a black interior GT, you can probley buy it and make a good trade for a decnt older LX or sell if off as a parts car and make some money. Just helps get you what you want sooner.