Should I Buy?

Naynay13

Active User
Feb 1, 2018
Hey everyone...I'm new here, but I have an opportunity to buy a 1998 5speed convertable gt with 178k on the motor and trans. The guy selling it found coolant in 2 of the spark plug wells when doing spark plugs, so he tore it down to do the head gasket, which is how its sitting now. The body is very clean and has no rust, interior is mint also. The price is right. Is it a bad buy with the motor opened up like that? While it was open I was considering cams and port and polish, or is the mileage too high for all the work?
Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

The shame of it all is IMO the odds favored only a leaking intake manifold gasket as the source of the coolant in the spark plug wells.

Preforming an in car head job of a modular motor is no walk in the park. I'm of the opinion that it's almost easier to pull the whole motor and do the work on an engine stand for the home DIY'er.

Ask yourself what is the car worth to you all put together?

Are you planning to do all of the work yourself?

Need answers to these questions in order to create a "project budget". The difference between what the car is worth minus the cost is the "sweat equity".

I have purchased several 1000-1300 dollar "project" cars that needed new motors. I have got to say that 1500 seems a little high for a car that is so old and fairly high mileage.

I paid too much for one of my recent "project cars". I planned on a head job that turned into a whole motor. In the end I spent as much $$ in parts as the car was worth. I got to say that it bites having ZERO sweat equity value. A ton of work when I could have just bought a different example that didn't need so much work.

I suspect that it's possible to get a similarly distressed 1999+ for 1500. The electrical is so much better in a 1999+ model year.

But if you really want the car and you are doing the work yourself (zero labor cost), and the seller comes off just a little it could make a nice project car.

Last edited:
You are concentrating on the engine but since it does not run you cannot be sure what condtion the other parts are in, like the tranny, rear end, clutch etc etc and with that many miles........ $600-$800 if the rest is primo, like the top and interior and body.

He claims its all in perfect working order, but you never know. I was hoping he would come down a little, but he won't. Wants like 4k when its fixed. Still high I think. Considering relocating anyways, so I don't know if I should take on a big project anyways yet.