should i feel any shifter vibration at 55+ with 3.90 gears?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
reason i am wondering is because i have always felt a slight vibration when going over 55-60 mph. its in the shifter i think its the DS. would upgrading to the alum DS help with this vibration?

• Sponsors (?)

reason i am wondering is because i have always felt a slight vibration when going over 55-60 mph. its in the shifter i think its the DS. would upgrading to the alum DS help with this vibration?

strangely Im having this same problem after swapping to an aluminum ds with my new 373's. Im starting to wander if the t5 is the culprit. Ill find out when i throw it in the garbage next month after i get the tko

Just because your T5 got rebuilt doesn't mean its not the problem. The main shaft could be bent, in fact most of the time when they are in a car that gets beat on at the track, they do end up a little bent.

Describe the vibration better. Does it vibrate hard, or is it a light vibration. There will always be a slight vibration especially with an after market shifter.

An aluminum drive shaft will only help if the original drive shaft is the part that is out of balance.

ShortThrow50, don't throw away that trans, send it to me.

Just because your T5 got rebuilt doesn't mean its not the problem. The main shaft could be bent, in fact most of the time when they are in a car that gets beat on at the track, they do end up a little bent.

Describe the vibration better. Does it vibrate hard, or is it a light vibration. There will always be a slight vibration especially with an after market shifter.

An aluminum drive shaft will only help if the original drive shaft is the part that is out of balance.

ShortThrow50, don't throw away that trans, send it to me.

i had the same vibration with and old t5 i had. it started happening when i put a different DS in, bc i had BAD BAD vibrations with my old shaft so i got a different. one.

the vibrations isnt bad at all. its slight, it doesnt really feel like anything to worry about. i wondered about the aftermarket shifter myself. i have a tri-ax and its pretty stiff. thats proll what it may be i duno. just needing to know if the alum DS is worth the money.

is there a way i can check my steel DS and see if its balanced or not?

Just curious, do you still have the big cast iron damper bolted to the diff housing? This is one of the first things to get stripped off of the car because it weighs 20+lbs. The consequence is feeling some vibration in the drive-line. There are a lot of possible culprits, and it could be more than one! I would start by swapping in a buddy's DS and see if that makes any difference. Won't cost anything but 1/2 an hour of time.
Good luck, and let us know what happens.
-Cletus

its still on. i've had 3-4 DSs on this car. all of which vibrated badly. i got the current one and its ok. i duno if it just has a slight vibration... or is good and i had a small one all along and was just covered up.