Should I get the manual

awesomest

Jun 20, 2010
This is my order. I am wondering people opinion on a few things. Should I get the manual and are the HID lights worth the extra money? This will be my everyday car and I know how to drive stick, but havent done so regularly for 4 years. Thanks in advance for any advice. Also, im 6'3 about 210lbs, will I feel cramped after extended drives in the Stang? I know the back seat is none existent, but how is front leg room?

201A
Black on Black
Security Package
3.31 Limited Slip (Just that for now)
Electronics Package
Rearview Camera
Side Scoops
1/4 Window Louvers
Remote Start

I am not taking delivery until Next Feb because I am currently deployed. I plan on upgrading to the performance package when it comes out later this summer, but I wanted to get my order in while they are still offer $2000 military discount.

• Sponsors (?)

In my opinion any sports car should be manual tranny only. That's part of the joy of driving is driver involvement. All this new DSG and auto-manual crap may make my wife feel happy, but how much fun is it to actually use. Here's the plus side of a V8 with a manual though, you really only need to shift from 2nd to 5th. It's easy to start in 2nd and 5th will work from 20mph. My brothe accidentally started in 3rd from a stop with me and didn't even realize it until I told him, except he thought my car was slow. Hooray for our old friend named TORQUE:hail2:

Sooooo, the only way you would get tired of it is if you're literally in stop and go traffic every single day. Plus, then you can order it with 3.73 gears and be even faster right off the bat, and cheaper to order/repair as well. I hadn't driven a stick for 4.5 yrs, but missed it so much! Getting back into it is very easy. Now after only 1800 miles on my car I have trouble getting back into my wife's auto w/out jamming my left foot on the brake (thinking it's the clutch) the first stop sign I come to.

When I was young, manual was the only way. At 57 with arthritis and a bad back, the automatic is essential.
You essentially have no leg room in the back. That's just the way it is. You couldn't pay me enough to sit back there. Front leg room, at least for me, is fine.

The sports cars should be a stick argument really resonates with me. I am seriously thinking of changing to a stick. It just depends now if I am going to keep my 300m and not trade it in.

Whats up with that $2k military discount? Also, I'm 6'2" circa 180 and I fit just fine in the driver seat of the GT Premium that I test drove. I didn't even have the seat all the way back. And I would go with the manual tranny because I like being in control of shift points. Just wondering, but what service and where are you deployed?

Im not sure if they have the military discount in the states, but when you order overseas they do. It helps defray the $1800 i have to pay to get it shipped to Germany. I am in the Air Force and deployed in the middle east (not allowed to specify where). All and all I paid $32665 and that includes shipping and a 6 yr 75000 mile warranty. I am about 85% certain im switching to the manual after all the feedback.

Manual all the way...

You get your choice of gearing, improved performance, better mpg (I also do 2nd to 5th), cheaper cost and come on military boy! MAN UP! Get that stick!! :)

HID's?? Up to you. Better lighting, but I don't like the way they look. Headlight is on the inside and the turn on the outside. I went non HID's but upgraded to an aftermarket HID kit. Same lighint but better looks IMO.

What a great reward to come back to after some tough military service...good for you dude!

I'm 35 & have been driving manuals pretty much my entire driving life. Shifting is second nature to me so driving in stop & go traffic feels like nothing to me. I say go for the manual, but I'm biased. If you think it would bother you to have to shift all the time, stick with the auto.

It really depends on what you want, there really is not a power difference between the manual and auto mustangs these days but with a manual as stated you will have controll of your shift points but with an auto it would make for a better drag setup, i have a manual but thats all i have ever driven.

I'm 35 & have been driving manuals pretty much my entire driving life. Shifting is second nature to me so driving in stop & go traffic feels like nothing to me. I say go for the manual, but I'm biased. If you think it would bother you to have to shift all the time, stick with the auto.

I'm 41 and have never owned an automatic. Stop and go can sometimes suck, but when the opening is there and you blast right through it...it's all good.

Manual trans forever!
:nice:

The only reason you should get an auto mustang is if you are a serious drag racer. Otherwise manual is superior in every way for the reasons stated above. My wife did not know how to drive a stick, learned how to with her new mustang and has stated multiple times that she would have a tough time going back to an auto.

And the military discount is $500 in the states. It was a nice bonus. :)

Manual tranny and no HIDs.

just my 2 cents.

AUTO PLUS Hid's

MY 2 cents.

ACTUALLY my 2 cents is: GET WHATEVER YOU LIKE!!! Dont listen to anyone else. I live in FLAT south Florida and like to have a cup of coffee while Im driving in the traffic..plus Ive had 2 back surgeries. .Manual is a PITA for me, but that doesnt mean I tell everyone else they "should" get an auto.

And I think that they should give you in the military a $5000 discount and FREE SHIPPING oversees...THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!:flag:
RC

In my opinion and only mine, a sports car with an automatic is like wearing a tuxedo with flip-flops and no socks. Just plain wrong. Now that being said I do understand some people have bad knees or some other health problem that would make a manual out of the question. Aside from that I'd say GET THE 6 SPEED!

The HID lights are expensive but again IMHO they are worth the price of admission. I'm glad I have them.