Should I get the upgraded front controll arms?

robertdale

Jan 31, 2002
kentucky
My car is in serious need of new ball joints and front a-arm bushings. I plan on putting new tie rod ends on as well while I am in to it. I noticed that ford racing has new updated controll arms for sale for around $200 bucks a pair. If I get new bushings and joints I am looking at a little over $120 and still have to install the parts in the a-arm which I hear is a pain. Has any one had any experience with the ford updated arms? Can any one reccomend a complete joint and bushing kit that I can get all at once? Thanks..

• Sponsors (?)

Spend the extra money and get the updated arms. The relief of not having to swap the bushings alone is worth the $80. A shop will charge you at least that to swap the balljoints and bushings, and unless you have a hydraulic press, you won't be swapping the bushings yourself.

Plus, the updated arms have a slightly different stamping which allows for a greater turning radius. In my opinion, that $200 is a deal.

I don't have any other suspension mods at all. Will the updated controll arms cause my front alignment to be way off. What I am saying is, will my NAPA service center be able to align my front end correctly without me getting adjustable caster and camber plates? I don't want to put the arms on and it be so out of whack that I have to get it towed to the shop for alignment

All other dimensions of the new arms are identical to the 94-95 stampings. The track and wheelbase are the same so as far as alignment is concerned, it won't be any different than aligning the car with the stock arms.

robertdale said:
Thanks alot I guess I need to find a dealer with them in stock and at a descent price.

Ask and you shall receive, and for $50 bucks less. How about the 2003 Cobra lower arms for $150?

This kit enables owners of 1994-04 Mustangs to upgrade to 2003 Cobra Mustang control arms. The kit features 2 front lower control arm assemblies with 50% stiffer front bushings and low friction ball joints. This control arm has a redesigned stamping to improve the turning circle approximately 10% on 1994-98 Mustangs.

http://www.oemfordparts.com/PartDetail.asp?S=1&PartID=1437&SubCategoryID=5

Good luck.