Should I swap out my IRS for solid axle?

OregonMustang

May 18, 2004
Newberg,OR
Question....

I have heard that one way to free yourself from wheel hop and to ensure a nice solid launch is to ditch the IRS and put in a solid 8.8 in the rear.

I guess this would fry my warranty...LOL

So I might wait a while..but just wondering if it's something advisable.
I'm just looking for a better hookup then the bouncing undulating daemon that is my axle at launch right now. I want squat .....pow!

LOL
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

ditch the IRS...

You will save a bunch of weight,you can go to 10.5 rims and a beefier tire without it rubbing against the nuts,(there is only one thing thet feels good rubbing against my nuts). :rlaugh:
you should buy a temporary set of springs to lower your cobra,so it will hook better,untill you get a new rear end.

I thought about it and decided to stick with the IRS. Unless you only drag race, you are sacrificing the excellent handling that sets these Cobras apart from the other Mustangs. You can beef up the IRS, change out bushings, and add subframes and it will help with the hop. Different tires help too. If you do go live axle you still have to build it to take the power. That isn't cheap and could easily cost as much as keeping the IRS and modding. :shrug:

Thanks All ...I think I will stick with the IRS for now...

jordanvraptor said:
I thought about it and decided to stick with the IRS. Unless you only drag race, you are sacrificing the excellent handling that sets these Cobras apart from the other Mustangs. You can beef up the IRS, change out bushings, and add subframes and it will help with the hop. Different tires help too. If you do go live axle you still have to build it to take the power. That isn't cheap and could easily cost as much as keeping the IRS and modding. :shrug:

Excellent words from a wiseman. I think I will try that...beef up my IRS....
I will need to talk to you or meet for Starbucks or Coffee People sometime Jordan. Talk mods....:)

Rock on thanks Jordan :)

Agree. If you are a drag racer the solid rear axle is something to think about...

However, if you value the overall performance of your car in the twisties, perhaps a spin about PIR during a DE weekend-- then an IRS is for you!

All things equal, a tricked up IRS will wax a solid car, lap after lap on a road course.

Had a few interesting moments watching a solid axle car sliding through turns 1 and 17 at Sebring raceway... WEEEEEE ....

We are talking extremes in all cases, driving at or near the limits. For typical street use, it's all good.

I haven't started the process on the Cobra yet, but if it follows the same path I took with my Z06, I will toss the money into better springs/shocks and sway bars. But, I am obviously biased toward handling. :banana:

Cheers,

Beef up your IRS

I have upgraded my IRS with coil-overs, pinion snubber, MJ's brace, DSS level 5 halfshafts and urethane bushings. I have no wheel hop. I just put my 26x12.50x16 MT ET streets on and took them for a ride; they hook and no wheel hop.

JOEZ06 said:
All things equal, a tricked up IRS will wax a solid car, lap after lap on a road course.

Had a few interesting moments watching a solid axle car sliding through turns 1 and 17 at Sebring raceway... WEEEEEE ....

I guess that's why the new 05 Ford Racing Mustangs use the solid rears since they are so terrible on the road tracks...Seems like taking a 1-2 finish in their first race ever makes those IRS so much better... :rolleyes:

If the drag strip is all you do, change it out for the live axel. Its best however, if you find a GT guy that wants the IRS, and just do a complete even swap. You'll need to change brakes, rotors, the axel, rear end gears, the works...

OregonMustang said:
Question....

I have heard that one way to free yourself from wheel hop and to ensure a nice solid launch is to ditch the IRS and put in a solid 8.8 in the rear.

I guess this would fry my warranty...LOL

So I might wait a while..but just wondering if it's something advisable.
I'm just looking for a better hookup then the bouncing undulating daemon that is my axle at launch right now. I want squat .....pow!

LOL
:shrug:

If you ever do decide to swap it out let me know. Problem is I am in Florida. Maybe we could meet at a shop in Kansas?? :)

I used to hit the track all the time with my GT, I am looking forward to relearning how to launch with my TRS rear end. I though about a solid axel but like how my Cobra rides so I will just 'make due' whenever she sees track time.

John