Should I switch?

Stanglion

Jun 16, 2011
Hello everyone,

I come here seeking advice, I am looking to pick up a new 2011 GT but here is the dilemma: I purchased a mint condition s2000 hardtop about a year ago (09 with 1200 miles) since then I purchased a SOS supercharger and upgraded the suspension amongst other mods, it's my only car and my daily driver (20 mile commute)
While the s2000 is a superb daily driver with a nice kick (350whp 300tq) I always find myself out of room, whether it's fitting grocceries or luggage for a road trip. The s2k fullfils it's duty at HPDE and autocross but the lack of space is really making me consider a mustang, I test drove an auto GT (no manuals on the lot) and overall really liked the car.
I viewed a million youtube videos of the new GT on the track/ autocross but I come here for first hand advice from any gt owner that frequents the track and daily drives the car.
I know the GT is a very fast straight line car (it's a little slower than my S but still very quick) - but how does it do on the real tracks (autocross, hpde) any inherent issues or concerns that were omited by the press, how does it handle at the limit? Would you recommend it for these particular scenarios?

Thanks,
Brian.

• Sponsors (?)

Have u raced a 5.0 with your s2000?

Have only had my car a month but I love it. Hadn't done any drag races or autocross yet. Jst letting it break in.

I jst tried my all traction and stability control off the other day for the first time and I will say the car felt like a different kinda beast than it normally felt. Back end will get loose on ya real easy

dnt u hate that when u go to most dealers it's only automatics on the lot. Not knocking automatics but some of us want manuals ya know. I personally find that on lots they have only premium models almost fully loaded and Its always an auto I figured ford is just trying to get it's moneys worth out of us lol

All I'm going to say, having driven an S2000, is that the new GT will SMOKE your honda in a straight line, will ride a lot better, and with a fair amount of suspension work, will be a lot easier to track than the S2000. However, it will take quite a bit of money to get the handling as good. In my opinion, there is nothing closer to a go-kart with a body on top of it than an S2000, they handle like champs. But, since you modded your honda, I'm going to assume you mod the stang. And if you put in the blood, sweat, tears, and $ into the suspension, you'll have one mean auto-x car. Just don't expect it to come close to comparing to your current car while it's in stock or only mildly modified form on a course lol they're two totally different cars.

This may sound a little out there, but if you've got the money, I would recommend skipping the GT and going for the Boss 302. It's a track car built for the track. It still probably won't handle as well as the S2K, but it can definitely take a corner, probably better than any factory Mustang ever.

I sure can't blame you for buying that S2K, though. They're sweet little cars.

And @dynasty, I agree wholeheartedly about the automatic/manual problem. I was on the market not long ago and could barely find anything. I hope the average American driver never has to leave the country, since 90% of the rest of the world's cars are row-your-owns.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I looked into the Boss302 but for a daily driver I am not sure it will do the job, saw a few utube videos of it and it looks like an outstanding track car.. need the backseats for daily driving, that the whole premise behind ditching the s2k.

I don't think the stock GT will beat my s2000 in a straight line (the s2k is modified and has a supercharger put down 350hp/309tq on a dynojet, but from what I am reading on here an intake/exhaust/tune with some drag radials will put me in to the high 11's , that would be faster than my s2000 (best time is 12.3 in the s2k)

The only concern I have is how the car handles on the track, especially at Sebring. Is it just a matter of throwing on some high performance brake pads/ mild suspension work to make it handle ?
I know the s2000 spoiled me with light weight but I love the "instant" v8 torque of the mustang compared to my delayed torque on the s2000, and the fact that a few bolt on's with a tune will yeild a significant horsepower bump meanwhile on the s2k I had to go forced induction route to get the juice flowing.

I found a manual GT with brembos 50 miles away, scheduled a test drive for tomorrow, but I know i won't be able to tell how it handles without doing something illegal....
Any GT owners that frequent the track can pitch in?

I believe the "regular" Boss 302 has back seats. The "Laguna Seca" edition does not. I think that would be your best bet if you plan on tracking the car a good amount.

That being said, even a 'regular' GT can be improved upon (as far as handling) but starts off with a very solid base. I can't imagine any of these feeling like your S2000, but they handle very well and can be made to handle even better.

Search on Motor Trend - they had a (road course) battle between an M3 and a new GT. The M3 edged it by 0.1 seconds. The Boss versions beat the M3 around Laguna Seca - not sure where your modified S2000 would fall in there, but the Boss's time is in some pretty exclusive company.

I sold my turbo s2000 and bought a 5.0, the S2000 is a great car but its pretty raw. With the SOS it would be a great car but its gonna have its issues, you will need to convert almost everything. Clutch injectors you'll need a tune ect ect ect. Trust me I have been down that road, its just too expesive of a car to mod. Once modded the s2000 on the HWY is a tough car to beat. Its light and makes tons of HP. But I really think it is cheaper to buy the 5.0 new and lightly mod it than to buy a used S2000 and mod it heavly, also it will last longer and the 5.0 is just cheaper to mod and has soo much more aftermarket support. My S2000 was about 400+ HP and is about as fast as the 5.0, I would say the 5.0 is faster off the line stock and maybe the S2000 is faster top end. My turbo would probably beat your SOS kit as well unless you went to a smaller pull e85 and the whole package. Although I loved my S2000 I like the 5.0 better by far so far. I really wanted to keep both but really it did not make sense so I sold it. Good luck I do have lots of love the s2000