Silly Craigslist

MAC'n89Blckstng

Jun 11, 2003
NJ
Craigslist is great for selling things but the people who go through them are retarted. I got a guy emailing me asking me if I want to trade my LX (was gonna sell but decided not to) for a 94 Lumina. Seriously? Why the hell would I want a Lumina? And then there are the people who email you about parts and call you and say they want your stuff and then never show up. Or the guy who said he wanted a set of Pony's and said he would show up the next day and kept texting me excuses for why he didn't show, and then he said he left and just so happened to get a flat on the way to my shop. I put them back up and sold them the next day. Like why do people waste their time talkin up that they are going to buy stuff when they never do? Sorry just a rant. People are just really stupid. lol

• Sponsors (?)

Am I the only one who gets a lot of spam? I put something up on craigslist couple days ago for the first time in a very long time. Within minutes I had about 5 emails all spam. Half were to check out their website, and the other half was people saying they'd pay me 20 extra bucks to take my add down and sell it to them and that they would send someone to come pick up the item and ship it to them. Is there anyways to report these people?

I've been getting these almost word for word from different people:

"I really like your post, but I believe your replies and sales will be raised obviously once you see this. http:/******** .You will know the high-efficiency way to get more replies on craigs list.

Regards,
Maria Mills"

"Hello,
Thanks for the swift response... I'm okay with the condition and price
of the item and ready for its purchase. My form of payment will be by
sending you Check via UPS with a second day air delivery.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers fee will be
included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company
to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after
check has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside
the item.

Would have love to come over for viewing but I'm afraid that might
not be possible due to my work frame. If you have more pics please
send so I can have a good look. Do get back to me with your full name
and address including your cell and land number so I can make out"

I had one a while back that was a real kick in the nuts. I had this guy call me and want to buy this built motor from me that I had. Said he was going to buy it so I held it for him. He said he would be there to pick it up in a week. So a week rolled around no call. I called him and couldn't get ahold of him. So I relisted the motor. Well another month goes by with no luck. Guess who calls. The guy who talked to me a while back. Now he wants to take a look at the motor before he buys it. Asks if I can meet him half way. Which is no big deal for me. So I loaded it up and met him in KC from topeka ks. Well I got up there and talked to him about it. It took him like an hour to look over the motor. He then says he has put a deposit down on another motor and that he would like to buy mine so hes gonna go get his deposit back tommorrow on the other motor and come pick up mine. So I say cool. Sounds good. Then he proceeded to try and buy the intake and headers for it right then and there from me which I thought was funny since he was buying the whole package from me the very next day. Then his buddy says just pick that stuff up tommorrow when u pick up the motor. So I go back home and unload the motor and finish getting everything ready for him to pick up. I even took off from work early to be home when he got there. Well I was supposed to hear from him at 4. 4 rolled around....no call. 5 rolled around....no call. So I call him probably 5 times cuz at this point I was getting P@SSED off. No answer any of the times I tried. So I waited about 30 minutes, picked up my roomates phone and dialed his number, He answered by saying hi jordan which is my name so he knew it was me. Then proceeded to tell me my freshly rebuilt motor that he looked at the night before and said he would buy was going to be too much work to get ready and put in his car. Needless to say I got F#$KED over big time. Well another couple months goes by and I sell the motor to someone else no problem. About a week later I get a call from the same guy wanting to know if I still have the motor and if I would sell the intake. I told him I do but he isn't buying it becuase of how he treated and lied to me before. Sucks to be him. Lesson learned.....DOn't count on anyone without a deposit on big ticket items.

yup, people are just full of ****. Like how do they think they can do stuff like that? When I go out of my way to buy something from someone, I call them and arrange a pick up and go get it, pay them and leave. End of story. And the scams are hilarious, "I'm wanting to get your item for my son cause he really wants this part for his birthday, click on this video of the part he needs and if that one doesn't work try this one." Who seriously falls for that crap!?

yup, people are just full of ****. Like how do they think they can do stuff like that? When I go out of my way to buy something from someone, I call them and arrange a pick up and go get it, pay them and leave. End of story. And the scams are hilarious, "I'm wanting to get your item for my son cause he really wants this part for his birthday, click on this video of the part he needs and if that one doesn't work try this one." Who seriously falls for that crap!?

lol im in socal and i got the vid one :rlaugh: my buddy tryd to sell his 89 gt and that same person gave him the vid one and offerd to pay more than the asking if he held it lmao people are retarted:nonono:

Craigslist is great for selling things but the people who go through them are retarted. I got a guy emailing me asking me if I want to trade my LX (was gonna sell but decided not to) for a 94 Lumina. Seriously? Why the hell would I want a Lumina? And then there are the people who email you about parts and call you and say they want your stuff and then never show up. Or the guy who said he wanted a set of Pony's and said he would show up the next day and kept texting me excuses for why he didn't show, and then he said he left and just so happened to get a flat on the way to my shop. I put them back up and sold them the next day. Like why do people waste their time talkin up that they are going to buy stuff when they never do? Sorry just a rant. People are just really stupid. lol

Ive got a chevy malibu wanna trade?

I put my Harley on craigslist and had every bad offer from people saying a bank won't give them a loan and asking if i would finance them.Then I had people asking if I would trade for a 84 el camino:notnice: to 94 suburban.I had someone ask if I would part it out!:mad:
This is what I send to scamers!

Please respond no further with assistance to be my person in charge. With allocation of said payment shall preclude shipment, I can guarantee to further stated agreement would include further finance charges to be included to include the sum of money to be agreed upon to be paid in advance and only delivered with your agreed upon assistant in person and only if your assistant carries payment with their back and can prove to swim 1,779K without backup for the agreed sum of nothing to be paid in full by you. Your assistant may carry said product with approval and subsequent verification of the ferocity of the Cowardly Lion in the land of Oz. With the help of the Bank of Kukumunga, I further would assist you in obtaining said money order to be shipped duly to my bank of choice with an agreed upon charge to be paid with your cooperation further to assist in this transaction. When money order shall arrive please tell you in where to pay myself to satisfy debt to Shantoloa in the land of Makebelieve. I will shall let me know too please as my sick grandmother is guasto and wishes to no longer use this product today forever. With your agreement of payment in person with cash, Japanese Euro shall suffice, I must ask for your assistance to deposit this into my bank of choice and must you must further pay deposit fee to approve western transfer money union, US funds. I further assure you that this scam will allow your canine to further fornicate with your mother with public and your approval and the further proof of 8X10 glossy fotografia and your canine holding out you with acceptance until you approval to accept. I can prove verification without guarantee and certainty to ungulates suis porcus portuosus malevolentia de dio del gracia. Ere malum de dio del gracia sacellum dactyliotheca d**natio gracarus.

If you cannot guarantee that you to recieve product in person, I can longer none allow further transgresions to be further set upon in obtaining said agreements without said approval of my father, the King of Anastaz who is in fact fictional.

If you can further assist myself in an agreed upon cash settlement, greatness besets you....The Confusion is yours....

View attachment 224851

On a 500-600 $ car I would be willing to collect the money and then let them take the car after its paid for.... I wouldnt let them have the vehicle and pay payments......

When I went to look at the parts car (94gt) to do my 4 wheel disc conversion, the owner's first comment was; "oh, you actually came?". Then when I came back with a trailer to load it up and buy it he said there had been at least 8 people claiming to be "on there way" in the last 3 days.

The amount of flakes and tire kickers on craigslist is unbelievable. When I sell stuff, I don't do any of that meeting halfway crap.

I guess my luck with craigslist has been out of the "norm". I picked up my motor for my 85 off a guy on craigslist. I had to drive about 3 hours to meet him and actually ended up with 2 351W for a really good price. The guy was super cool and actually gave me back 25 bucks to help cover the cost of gas! Then even more recently I sold my truck on craigslist. The morning after posting I had several emails, and yes a few were scams but mostly just people asking about the truck! Needless to say, the truck sold within a day of being posted.

I've actually had good luck buying and selling on CL.

I guess i just do a good job weeding out the bad apples. You can usually tell in the communication if the person sounds like someone willing to work with you. I typically don't respond to 1 sentence emails like "yo, will you take 75" or something like that. If the person can't even say hello first, who knows if they would be kind enough to tell me they don't want to come or are not interested anymore.

"Hello,
Thanks for the swift response... I'm okay with the condition and price
of the item and ready for its purchase. My form of payment will be by
sending you Check via UPS with a second day air delivery.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the movers fee will be
included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company
to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after
check has been cashed as I have other properties to be moved alongside
the item.

Would have love to come over for viewing but I'm afraid that might
not be possible due to my work frame. If you have more pics please
send so I can have a good look. Do get back to me with your full name
and address including your cell and land number so I can make out"

Wow, this person gets around! I sold a 94GT on Craigslist and I had multiple versions of this exact scam come in. Some even offered a 1000 bucks over asking price. I heard a guy on the radio explain this scam. They send you the check and it is considerably higher than your price. They tell you to deposit it and send them the difference in CASH, and keep a little extra for your trouble. Of course, the check bounces higher than the moon after you send them the cash and you are SOL.

I basically respond to these people with a "GO FUDGE YOURSELF".

Finance someone off CL?? Did you take collateral??

I won't even let people on CL come to my house, or where i keep my car/parts

If someone wants to buy something from me, i give them the address to a local shopping mall, tell them to call me when i get there and i'll swing down with the stuff in my trunk.

Last thing i want to do is show a complete stranger what I have and where I keep it. However nobody has done this to me. I'm a trustworthy guy, but i've had people invite me into their garage where they have AFR heads, GT40 intakes, etc just sitting on the bench with a door that could easily be jimmied open. Easy way for someone looking around for stuff to steal to do recon and see what people have and what the setup is like inside so they can steal stuff.