Sirius Onyx Ez Connection To 2016 Base Radio Help Needed

Sep 26, 2015
I thought this might be simple since I connected the same receiver to my wife's 2014 Toyota Avalon with no problem. But the Stang does not have an auxillary connection point like the Avalon as near as I can tell. It has USB ports so I figured I could use an IPOD cable with the pin connector on one end a a usb connector on the end. Well the hook up was easy but the radio is telling me that I don't have anything connected to the chosen usb port. I've pulled the usb plug many times and reinserted it and also disconnected the power plug a few times with no luck. I switched service from my old car to the Stang and Sirius sent refresh signals a couple of times to no avail. I must be missing something but the owners manual doesn't address the resolution of the signal showing nothing is connected to the usb. Can anyone offer a fix?

• Sponsors (?)

I looked for a auxilary port under the radio and in the console but didn't see one. Only usb ports and power ports. That auxilary port would have saved me $20 that I spent for an Ipod cable to try and use the existing usb ports. I wound up using the fm radio function of the Onyx to pick up the Sirius signal. The Sirius recommended local signal is a weak station that intrudes onto the Sirius signal making for a sorry reception. I'll try another station given by Sirius as a possible source for their signal and hope there is no weak local station using it.

I called the Sync phone number and talked to a technician and they confirm there is no aux connection point on the car and that hooking the Onyx up with a usb/pin connector cable to a usb port will not work. Connecting to the radio through the Onyx fm signal capability is the only choice. Sirius identifies local radio frequencies that can be used to mate the two devices.Problem is that if there is a weak radio station on the chosen frequency, you get that station's signal bleeding over to the Sirius signal. This makes for a sorry listening experience. I can't believe the usb connection capability is unusable on the car. What if you want to hook up an Ipod or memory stick or something?

The v6 has an analog aux in port, does the GT not? The base radio appears to be the same across models. I'm confused, just hoping mine comes with an aux in.

Yep ,just confirmed on Ford.com. It's a standard feature on the V6

Last edited:
I saw in the owners manual where there is supposed to be this aux hook up in the console so I took a flashlight to look again. It must be invisible because I didn't see it. I even pulled the small rubber floor mat at the bottom of the console but it's not there either. Ford must have made a production change somewhere around the time mine was made.Further reading of the manual indicates only Apple products are recognized by this radio. Can't believe Ford didn't allow for Sirius connection.

Thanks for the tip 84Ttop. Is that a tweet address? I don't use any of those social media tools-call me old school or whatever.
Not a tweet address at all. Use the @ symbol in front of any members name in a post and they will receive an alert in the queue at the upper right of the screen.

I am now reading that the newer ones did away with the aux in. Look like I'l have to do without it when I get mine. It's good for videos in the backseat with the kids. Bluetooth always has a delay. In my CR-V, it's HUGE! Like 2 seconds!

That's great to hear. On my wife's Honda CR-V, there is like a 2 second delay, which makes you think the phone is not responding to controls, when it is. You just don't hear them right away. The delay should be in milliseconds.

I rented a Focus this past week while on vacation and noticed that it had an auxillary input in the console..For a moment, I thought about buying a USB cable with a 2.5 mm pin on the opposite end in order to connect the Onyx FM port to the car's USB ports but then I remembered the owners manual indicating the USB are for use with Apple products and memory sticks only apparently. The radio probably wouldn't recognize the cable hook up between the USB port and the FM port any more than the earlier experiment with the USB/Onyx audio port by 3.5 mm cable connection.

Update to my posts is in sound and shine segment of this site too. I wound up having Best Buy wire in an FM Direct module to connect the Onyx to the cars radio.Way better solution than the over the air function of the Onyx. No static or over lapping radio stations with this fix. Cost was $200 for the Onyx and FM Direct module installation.