SLP Header inspection/ What to look for?

shallowreef

Nov 3, 2005
illinois
I was suppose to get my headers yesterday but since i have to sign for them i didn't get them yet. I'm going to pick them up today from FEDEX. As soon as i get home with them i will probably start to drool all over them. But i've never had headers before so i don't know what to look for to make sure everything is okay. I know that if its dented than thats an obvious sign but what are some things that most people don't think to check for? I don't think they come with gaskets or new bolts but i have read to get stage 8 locking bolts.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

im not sure what to look for on headers, but any types of cracks would be bad. i think the slp headers will be fine, they are excellent quality. also they should come with some bolts gaskets and mine even came with the o2 extenders. you will need the extenders. should come with them. you will get a nice power increase. you will feel the tq the most, they pick up alot of tq down low.

i was dynoed before and after just the slp headers. i forget the exact gains. im not home right now but i could look it up for you later. it was good though. i got tuned after i put them in because i was running lean after them.

Is it bad if i don't get my car tuned right away? Also i'm new at this by tune do you mean dyno or do you mean by a tuner/programmer? Also did you do the install? did you have any trouble with leaks afterwards? I ordered mine from LMPerformance, where did you get yours?

I bought my SLP o/r x-pipe from LMperformance, I was satisfied with their shipping. I bought my LT's from www.mustangtuning.com. here's what mine looked like right out of the box. and btw you'll see in the last pic that mine came with o2 extendors, gaskets, and bolts

lt1.jpg

lt2.jpg

lt3.jpg

lt4.jpg

i dont remember where i got them and i did not install them myself. pita

i dont think you def. need a tune. i heard other guys put on l/t and say their a/f was fine.

i did need a tune. :shrug: dont know why. i just know they threw off my a/f.

i was dyno tuned

csledd, how was the fitment? I want headers but don't think i can shell out the cash for SLP's so i was thinking of going with BBK. But if the SLP are that good, i may just have to suck it up and get 'em

I love my SLP's.. fitment was great, no leaks either. Btw.. I did need a tune afterwards.. I had the full exhaust, CAI, and 75mm TB and plenum.. I wasn't running super lean or anything, but by adjusting my A/F ratio back to normal I gained like 30rwhp and 40rwtq at 3500 rpms :).. but my max gains was 13rwhp and 22 rwtq

here it is..

dynosheet.jpg

Wow 271/307 is very good with just the bolt-ons. I was thinking of adding LT's and cams to my mix to hit 275, but i might get there with just LT's, pullies, TB and Plenum, and a tune.

What are you aiming for when you FINALLY get the stage 2 cams?

well when I went that time to get it tuned I was hoping secretly for 270 and that's what I got lol.. so I'm not hoping for 300. they say the stage 2's are good for 30-35. since the tune i added 4.10s and u/d pulleys.. so I'm hoping they cancel each other out and my dyno reading is still at 270 right now. i'll be getting it tuned with the cams so that should help with me hitting the 300 at the wheels also. if not i dunno what else there is to do lol.. well besides heads :D

csledd said:
well when I went that time to get it tuned I was hoping secretly for 270 and that's what I got lol.. so I'm not hoping for 300. they say the stage 2's are good for 30-35. since the tune i added 4.10s and u/d pulleys.. so I'm hoping they cancel each other out and my dyno reading is still at 270 right now. i'll be getting it tuned with the cams so that should help with me hitting the 300 at the wheels also. if not i dunno what else there is to do lol.. well besides heads :D
Heads and then wait for the new lower manifolds that are supposedly being released by a few companies soon. Other than that, its time to get blown :nice:

Ya, i don't really know what to expect from the Stage 1's i just can't decide between the Comp Cams 262's or the VT Stage 1 cams. I would be happy with a 300rwhp N/A GT...for a few months

well i got the LTs and the X. no dents but a couple of nasty scratches on the driverside header. There not very long but it looks like someone dropped them on a sidewalk or something. I am going to get them coated again with some sort of heat shield that they use on military exhaust that should hopefully keep the heat in my tubes and out of my engine. I think those scratches will be fine what do you think. FYI the scratches are near the top of the header. I also need to find a dyno around my house to throw my car on. Is there a way i can look this up in the yellowpages or something??

Not sure how far away from Memphis, TN.. but Dynospeed Racing is in Memphis, they're a damn good shop.. But i'm sure there should be something closer to you than that.. Just search the web for dyno shops in IL or MO